• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Chrome OS, what do you think?

Peo

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Chromebooks got popular last year, what do you think about Chromebooks and Chrome OS?

It's based on Linux and very simple, but in a good way. Just like the Chrome browser.

You can't install anything on a Chromebook, apart from Chrome extentions. There are only 16 gb/32 gb space for documents. But Google include extra Google Drive space in the cloud (100 gb I think). You use Google Cloud Print to connect to a printer.

Most of normal use on a computer today is done in the browser anyway so it's not much of a limitation unlesss you do professional work editing video or work as a graphic designer.

If your someone where all you do on a computer is done in a browser then it might be the perfect OS for you. As for me I don't like it.

I use it when I'm travelling. It's light, cheap, fast and easier to write on than a tablet. I can see why Microsoft started to run attack ads on Chromebooks.

I could see use for it if you're the demographic who's interested in tablets, but want something more usable (err, ergonomic?). I'll pass, I don't mind lugging my netbook around for travel (except when airport security yells at me about my Alfa antenna asking what the hell it is) and at home I just use my desktop.

Last edited:
Chromebooks have such great potential as a brand and good prices but they are very limited. It would be nice to see them become more widely supported as a platform but not enough people seem interested in developing, this hopefully will change in the future.

Chromebooks have such great potential as a brand and good prices but they are very limited. It would be nice to see them become more widely supported as a platform but not enough people seem interested in developing, this hopefully will change in the future.

All the big brands in the business offer Chromebooks. Samsung announced two new Chromebooks today. Lenovo, Acer, Asus, HP, Dell, Toshiba also have Chromebooks.

It looks nice, i like it, however, it is just the google chrome browser, and you can only install the extensions, nothing more, nothing less...

Although it seems nice, I'd go for a macbook if I was you - that is if you want to have more freedom and do much more with the laptop.

I think Chromebooks are an amazing idea. I don't have one because I have a fairly new laptop that is pretty portable and not too heavy. But in the future I might consider having a more power desktop/laptop that stays at home and a chromebook to take on vacation or business travel. I still have to weigh the pros and cons but I'm not against them at all like some people out there seem to be.

The ASUS looks interesting. Anyone tried the Chromebox desktop? I think it could be a good cheap alternative to a standard desktop computer with a large screen.

The ASUS looks interesting. Anyone tried the Chromebox desktop? I think it could be a good cheap alternative to a standard desktop computer with a large screen.
I haven't tried the Chromebox yet, but it looks perfect for several of my friends who don't currently own computers but need to access the internet for various reasons. Not bad for the sub-$200 range.

Back