• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

chat rooms: is it safe to use them?

b

so many people use chat rooms but are they safe
one time i was chatting with a group of people and someone
told me where i live and my phone#
he was a nice guy and he did not intend any harm but he was telling it's easy to get all the info about me even my credit card#
how can i protect myself?
can i get a virus chattiing online?

chatting is safe, but you shouldn't tell him your location and your phone. You're courting trouble.

Ask for his info and call your local police.

trenzterra
i did not give him any info about myself but he was able to find out personal info about me.

that's why i'm asking you guys how can i protect myself

Chat rooms are as safe as one can be.

Even if someone does somehow come accross your phone number/address... it's not like they will be able to do anything, unless they happen to live right nearby.

However, I wonder... is it even actually -possible- for a person to randomly get your phone number; unless you somehow have it on your info in the chat program?

Originally posted by b
trenzterra
i did not give him any info about myself but he was able to find out personal info about me.

that's why i'm asking you guys how can i protect myself
he maybe threatening you. as i said, call your local police.

Make sure you didn't give that site your name, address, telephone number and all that information just so they could list it in a public profile. Also make sure he didn't just do a whois on a domain you own.

It's not that easy to go from an IP address to an address without contacting their ISP. You can usually find the general location of where they live but not an exact address.

If he is making death threats... then you should contact the FBI. They have sophisicated equipiment to track people down like this, I am less sure about the police. But... the FBI might have their hands full right now with the recent events. So the Police might be the best option.

One nut did this to me, I sent an email to my FBI friend and this fool was arrested because he threatened other people.

For the most part, yes. Just don't give out any personal information and notify the chat ops of anything strange; police/fbi if you have any of what others mentioned above.

Best place to go is the moderated chat rooms :)

Originally posted by b
so many people use chat rooms but are they safe
one time i was chatting with a group of people and someone
told me where i live and my phone#
he was a nice guy and he did not intend any harm but he was telling it's easy to get all the info about me even my credit card#
how can i protect myself?
can i get a virus chattiing online?
:biggrin2:

It really varies. IRC is very unsafe. the old Napster chat was bad too.

It all depends on the chat client. its relatively easy to get one's IP adress on any chat system. If you are concerned, got a firewall and use a proxy. that wont make you invincible, but it will certainly help

On MatrixChat members hide their IP addresses by accounts and nice little messages for their IP ..but I'd like to see either that, or PART of one's IP addy or none of it all...(except for admins seeing that so they can catch troublemakers)

Originally posted by Gayowulf
It really varies. IRC is very unsafe. the old Napster chat was bad too.

It all depends on the chat client. its relatively easy to get one's IP adress on any chat system. If you are concerned, got a firewall and use a proxy. that wont make you invincible, but it will certainly help
if its invincible, free firewall programs makers will go bankrupt :D

didn't u guys watch oprah?

Chatrooms are not safe. There are just too many weirdos around. Your better of here in FWS.

The worst you can do if someone tells you that they have your address and telephone no. is to confirm it. So if someone shows you info about yourself, deny it immediately.

Chat Rooms are evil, they are gunna get my best friend (which happens to be a girl) raped and or killed.

Several of my friends who have dad's that used to work in the FBI or still do, tell me that in the FBI there are people who spend their time on chatrooms intercepting suspicious people. But that is difficult to do because of the sheer number of chatrooms.

Originally posted by rshinji
didn't u guys watch oprah?

No, I dont watch Oprah. I hate Oprah as a peson and as a TV show.

anyways...

You're best bet is to avoid chat rooms completely. Try interacting with real people instead.

Back