• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Bulletin Board Service

Well, just saying it isn't any good isn't much help...You may want to detail why it isn't any good to be of any use. :rolleyes:

Originally posted by zoobie
Well, just saying it isn't any good isn't much help...You may want to detail why it isn't any good to be of any use. :rolleyes:
Firstly, it has a terrible backend. Secondly, template editing is difficult as you've to edit a million templates. Thirdly, they're going paid so no more support for 1.x users. Is that enough?

Ok...Thanks.

I just went to YABB SE and saw where someones site used to use up 1 gig a day transfer. Now, by using YABB SE, it's only using up 250 mb.

Which free boards aren't resource hogs?

I just went to YABB SE and saw where someones site used to use up 1 gig a day transfer. Now, by using YABB SE, it's only using up 250 mb.

Which free boards aren't resource hogs?
None, but CGI boards in particular are resource hogs. So, try to avoid CGI BB.

Red Guy

Ok..Thanks again.

I see where you recommend phpbb2.

Any thoughts on open bb?

I can't access open bb because their site is down temp...Is there a demo?

I don't need send mail...

Re: Red Guy

Any thoughts on open bb?

I can't access open bb because their site is down temp...Is there a demo
OpenBB is good. Fine, their development on schedule. I think you should contact McCary.

Do you guys really consider WBB relatively new? I certainly wouldn't! They've been around for a quite a while (not as long as IB or YaBB, of course).

OpenBB 2 looks good. :)

Well, I think I remember bookmarking Burning Board last October when someone said it was new then.

I just looked at phpbb's 'show off' forum...They all look the same...Small fonts, dark background...Evidently you can program some mouseover effects...but that font looks too business like and bone dry.

I've been designing stuff my whole life...and I want and need a board that's colorful and rocks. :classic2:

This board looks better than that...IMO

Last edited:
Originally posted by conkermaniac
Do you guys really consider WBB relatively new? I certainly wouldn't! They've been around for a quite a while (not as long as IB or YaBB, of course).

OpenBB 2 looks good. :)
OpenBB 2? Where do you get the screenshot? And yes, WBB is considered an oldie now.

I'm finding millions of these bulletin/message boards...:rolleyes:

What the difference between the ones we've been discussing and a flat-file forum system like eboard?

What would be a good easy cool one to start with?

All I need are the fundamentals...

Last edited:
I'm finding millions of these bulletin/message boards...:rolleyes:

What the difference between the ones we've been discussing and a flat-file forum system like eboard?

What would be a good easy cool one to start with?

All I need are the fundamentals...

eBoard is mainly for people that don't have access to a mySQL database and/or run a smaller forum.

which one works on host.sk?

I want to host my bulletin board in host.sk free server. Anyone know which bulletin board works in that server? I have upload the burning board and found that the server can't pass the test.

Thanks.

So, what would be a cool easy php board to start with?

PHPBB2. It's the best and has a simple installation. WBB has the simplest installation script.

Somebody here mentioned using version 1.4.x of phpbb and not 2...

Comments? :classic2:

Last edited:
Somebody here mentioned using version 1.4.x of phpbb and not 2...

Comments? :classic2:
PHPBB 1.x really stinks. It looks ugly, although very fast, and lacks a million features.

Back