• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Best free CMS for file distribution/repository?

dogma

Hi all

Can anyone suggest a free portal/cms that can offers out-of-the-box:

1. file distribution / file depository (downloads manager)
2. And offerring the option to restrict downloads to members (only) whilst allowing guests to view descriptions of the file.

PHP-Fusion seems to be able to do 1 but not 2.

Thanks in advance.

out-of-the-box i.e. without any modifications / plugins etc

Thanks all.

Rsmiley, Is PHPNuke free?

Dan, Joomla is great but it won't be worth the effort setting up a simple site that I want, for the amount of time it would take to setup. Hence why I'm looking at out-of-the-box solutions.

hamster, Wordpress can't do this out-og-the-box. I run both my current sites off wordpress. It takes time manually pasting links on a page if you have a lot of downloads. As far as I'm aware there isn't a plugin that can do this yet.

Thanks all.

Rsmiley, Is PHPNuke free?

Dan, Joomla is great but it won't be worth the effort setting up a simple site that I want, for the amount of time it would take to setup. Hence why I'm looking at out-of-the-box solutions.

hamster, Wordpress can't do this out-og-the-box. I run both my current sites off wordpress. It takes time manually pasting links on a page if you have a lot of downloads. As far as I'm aware there isn't a plugin that can do this yet.
Yea Php-Nuke is free...

Theres one out called fusion i think im not sure tho but with php-nuke its all free i believe

Joomla sets up in seconds from Fantastico and Remository takes but 30 seconds to setup in the Joomla backend.

Sorry Dan, what I meant was configuring as opposed to initial setup and installation.

I will take a further look at joomla as my friend uses the DocMan component.

Rsmiley, the following is from PHP-Nuke site:
Dear User:

This is the place to purchase/get the latest version (8.1) of PHP-Nuke software.

It's being sold for $12 excluding updates.

Last edited:
Joomla is too hard to setup and configure for a beginner though. So unless you are familiar with CMS's, I would suggest PHP-Nuke!

As far as I know...I am not sure about newer versions. PHP Nuke has alot security issues and the newest version isn't free. I would use post nuke or the other alternatives.

heymrdj pafiledb looks like what I've been looking for. Thanks

Thanks everyone!

Glad to help, I knew it sure was one heck of a nice piece of software when I first found it. I used it at LAN parties on the local webserver we had with the game server so that we could have ISO's/Videos/Patches ect available on the whole lan in an easy to access manner. Apache/PHP/Mysql, simple and lovely software.

Back