• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Best Bulletin Board?

Yes :) Snitz can compete twith those, but since less hosts support ASP it is being used less ;)

Of those mentioned only vBulletin supports file upload/attachements

Actually, there is a hack for phpBB that users can have the uploading feature. I think someone is in the process of distributing that hack soon.

UBB & Vbulletin

<<EDIT>>

And regarding Snitz. Yes I think that board can compete with all of the boards listed here.

Almost all boards have available hacks for them to make them "more" eyepleasing and increase its features.

Last edited by a moderator:
I installed an Ikonboard and the thing wouldn't work right... Got an error when I tried to run the admin panel the first time. :(

Originally posted by Mandrake
I installed an Ikonboard and the thing wouldn't work right... Got an error when I tried to run the admin panel the first time. :(
I just couldn't acces the board, got an error, then I figured out I needed to CHMOD the files.

I have installed a few ikonboards, and none of them worked right away, but it was something I had missed. The only thing wrong with ikon board is how ugly it is 'out of the box', but you can change it pretty easily.

I hacked the wwwboard script a little bit for my site, since I really don't need anything more than that. Just something for people to leave messages on. Needs a little bit of work though.

Vbulletin is the best out there , but to expensive ... so I would take phpBB or an "old" version of blazeboard if u can find one.

Regarding Ikonboard...

I have installed a few on a few different hosts. They have all worked perfectly the first time I tried it. Guess I lucked out?

php should be faster than cgi (as far as i heard)

i would say vbulletin would be the best choice.
i use ubb, which is great, too. and if you don't have that much useres, speed doesn't matter that much!

also i you should aks yourself if you wanna pay for a board.... think the free ones are good, too!

and another thing is, how many addons or hacks are availiable for a board.
e.g. for ubb there are several quite nice hacks avialiable that make the functunallity richer!!

Originally posted by akersche
php should be faster than cgi (as far as i heard)
Actually that's apples comparing to pears (or vice versa). CGI is a way to retrieve application output through a webserver. PHP is programming language.

What you probably mean is that perl is faster than php. Which is not true. They are same as fast. The thing that might make perl slower is that it is being used through CGI. If you'd install mod_perl it would be same as fast as PHP.

So, the bottom line is.....

Finally, I think the bottom line is: phpBB and Yabb are the best "free" boards.

I don't know which one I should choose?

I was thinking of installing a Snitz board before we start this discussion (because I know only ASP), now I have to think about it (also I think I should learn little php & CGI).

Thanks guys, it was very informative and useful.

Peter

I'd download them all, and install them all. People here can say what they want, what really matters is which one you prefer.

Last edited:
Originally posted by Zef Hemel
I'd download them all, and install them all. People here can say what they want, what really matters is which one you prefer.
He is right ... download the ones you think you will enjoy ... Ikonboard(which I really like and use for my site ...audio db and forum and more), YaBB, phpBB, and many others ... but it seems those are the 3 main free Forum scripts ...

I would would about 4 days ... IkonBoard v3 is coming out ... I seen this board in action ... very .. very awesome ... :D

here's my opinion

I would like to download the ikonboard 3 (bèta), that would be a great one. I have vBulletin, UBB, YaBB, etc installed and I can only say the following:
  • UBB is the best compact & flexibel one, but offers not much features
  • BlazeBoard is in bèta, but I Really like this one! nothing bad...
  • YaBB Is also good, but the bb code is too much - you can even insert a flash file.. Yust too much. Here are some good mods - but the installation failed with me
  • vBulletin is proffesional, only I do not like their vB code
  • phpBB yust sucks - very bad
  • Ikonboard (3) is a fantastic board, the 2.1 has only some featuers, the 3 rulez (except blazeboard ;))

I use BlazeBoard - with a few self-made mods... very intersting. Anyway, where to dl ikonboard 3?

ubb, hasn't got that much features...
BUT there are really many well documented hacks availiable. I did install some of them myself (preview, reply notification, ...)

So I will include Ikonboard too

Ok, guys... all are u telling Ikonboard is also good, then let me include it.

So Now I am going to download Yabb first,
then secondly Ikonboard, and lastly phbBB.

Can anyone suggest me some free hosts to try these boards.

I have brinkster.com, digitalrice & f2s accounts.

Thanks

Back