• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Bad news for free hosting providers.

Applies to both sections. Domains is this section and the one under free hosting applies to free hosts and having to get paid for domains.

Yep, completely agree with Deeplist. This is probably the best thing that ever happened to hosting in a long time.

Yeah. .co.cc tended to be very unreliable, I had quite a few service outage reports from a client that was using it that ultimately proved to be the fault of .co.cc and not my services.

Now it makes sense why if it was getting exploited for malware.

Not sure how much of a benefit there would be from google dropping all .tk entries. .tk will revoke a name that goes more than a couple months without a site being attached to it.

Yep, completely agree with Deeplist. This is probably the best thing that ever happened to hosting in a long time.
I'm not so sure about this. One of the reasons why people go for free domains is that they don't have credit cards to purchase domains. Although there are a bunch of not so good fly by nighters among those who have co.cc Websites, there are also people who are serious about their Websites, but just were unable to purchase a domain. I feel sorry for them, and wish that a way could be found to purchase domains that fit the payment systems that are unique to their countries. I know India has problems, and that some resellers are charging huge premiums so that Indian citizens can purchase a domain without a credit card.

I'm also uncomfortable with one search engine having so much power to block a large section of Website building enthusiasts. It just gives me the feeling of Big Brother lurking around. What next?

One of the reasons why people go for free domains is that they don't have credit cards to purchase domains.

Credit cards are not the only method of payment accepted. I actually have a few people from central Africa that wire money to me via Western Union to have a TLD registered on their behalf. In addition to that, I have several people from around the United States and Canada that will physically mail a money order, cash or check to me so a TLD can be registered on their behalf. Either you're too young, do not have adequate credit, or live in an area where no CC network exists, so they won't issue you one. Either way, I do NOT feel sorry for those with no credit card. There are alternatives and if they choose to not use them and cry about not having a credit card, it's their own fault.

The 'too young' bit does ring true, but if that's the case get parent/guardian to do it on your behalf and take it out of your pocket money or pay them from your job (forever hopeful on that one :lol:) - unless your trying to be the next illegal download king and don't want them to know.

There are loads of option though, I don't have and won't have a CC and I'm nearly *&*(%%+-* years old but I can pay by a number of means that don't require one either, again though it's the 'paying' part that stops a lot (if there's a free one why not use it).

For anyone that wants to be any sort of host pay attention - IT COSTS MONEY!

I purchased my first .com when I was 14. I went to the post office, purchased a money order and mailed it to an enom reseller. They received it a few days later and the domain was mine. There were also many times when I wanted something online and I was too young to buy it. I would give my mom the cash for the item and then she would allow me to use her credit card to buy the item. There's ways around not having a credit card, so that's not a valid excuse.

About the credit card thing, as I know, some countries are charging very high for online purchase using credit card.
I'm not sure whether this is allowed by VISA or MasterCard or not, but I've been heard that some countries banks is charging very high commission for online payments.

Also, I've heard some of my customers told me that there are rules in their country where makes them difficult to apply for a credit card or even debit card, so they have to pay a large amount of "commission" to those people who have credit card to make online payments for them.

But honestly, .co.cc really have too much phishing sites and malware sites.
A lot of those so called banks emails to phish victims, are actually hosted on a website that is using .co.cc.
Until now, there are still a lot people thinks that .co.cc are a domain extension like .co.uk or .co.jp, then get cheated to give away their banks credential to those phishing sites.

Credit cards are not the only method of payment accepted. I actually have a few people from central Africa that wire money to me via Western Union to have a TLD registered on their behalf. In addition to that, I have several people from around the United States and Canada that will physically mail a money order, cash or check to me so a TLD can be registered on their behalf. Either you're too young, do not have adequate credit, or live in an area where no CC network exists, so they won't issue you one. Either way, I do NOT feel sorry for those with no credit card. There are alternatives and if they choose to not use them and cry about not having a credit card, it's their own fault.
I won't touch a .cc myself, but not everyone who has a Website uses a paid host and as far as I know only a paid host will help with purchasing a domain at a reasonable price. I also think it is unfair that the rest of the world has to use a payment system that works mostly for North America. Granted, there are plenty of resellers available in countries outside of North America that follow the rule of the land, but it usually comes at a premium. The same thing applies to software, just a few times worse. I'm living in the UAE and I can't just go to the Adobe Website and buy Dreamweaver online unless I have a credit card from the US, Canada, UK, Italy, etc. I have to go to a shop in Dubai and pay almost double the price because they are aware that it is the only way I can get hold of the software. And then guess what happens next, people are pirating software as they can't get hold of software even when they have a local credit card. Fortunately domains are still OK.
:)

But yes, I have to agree, perhaps having it too easily available can be a big problem too, which far outweighs the "sad story" of someone having difficulties to get hold of a domain. I'd go as far as saying that maybe they should not allow free domains to be included in any of the search engines period. People can still have their free domains, but they won't show up in search engine results.

Last edited:
Generally, google acts on the bases of user feedback and statistics they have. It seems Co.cc seems to have too many problems like malware, spam and others .

Personally, I never liked them and I think its a good thing. I personally run a free host, and I require all my "clients" to have a suitable TLD.

Co.cc, cz.cc are not bad domains, I have paied hosts with TLD's but I also a free for all service that helps people set up on the web for free, and they I point people to cz.cc domains, google have also started to look in to fixing how they block domains as the cc is the LTD not the co and cx are the name this is way anything under them get blocked, this is been looked at.

But still for testing home servers what I also use and other matters these domains are great and people should remember some people don't have the money at all to by these kind of things but really do have a right to be online and thats what these services was meant for, the spammer as given them a bad name but this is also the same for .info domains and also many .net domains in the EU.

I for one will be p**sed off if they keep on blocking people like this, the browser knows when there is crap on the website so why don't they just make there stop the spammers before it hits the browser, and you should NEVER give your CC details online NEVER its the first rule of the internet, thats why services like Pay Pal are out.

I say :shame: (shame) on the people that think its not ok for someone to have a nice small subdomain that looks clean just cos a few others give it bad name, we pay so much as it is for the internet, why should we be charged to have a name others will be using to get something we have to pay to offer a service sorry but you know that's not right so if we can get something free then great.

Hi,

I also think they should not be listed. Lots of free hosts provide free subdomains, or allow you to register your own.

tk etc. are so full of 'bad stuff' it's simply not worth indexing them. Just my opinion though :)

Regards,

Nick.

Hi,

I also think they should not be listed. Lots of free hosts provide free subdomains, or allow you to register your own.

tk etc. are so full of 'bad stuff' it's simply not worth indexing them. Just my opinion though :)

Regards,

Nick.

And what do you do after you change your host ? Get a new subdomain, and all your traffic goes away ? This is not a solution.

Back