• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Actually, I have all that graphical stuff turned off -- so I wouldn't even see my own avatar. I'm very "text" oriented -- as you might expect of someone who has "DOS" as part of his UserName.

jerry4dos said:
Actually, I have all that graphical stuff turned off -- so I wouldn't even see my own avatar. I'm very "text" oriented -- as you might expect of someone who has "DOS" as part of his UserName.

That's interesting--must save download time. Are you nostalgic for DOS?
Text is good :)

Not really "nostalgic" -- I never let go of it. I'm still writing large database programs in DOS -- they run fast on any old machine with very low memory requirements, and rarely crash. They use a CUI (character user interface) instead of a GUI and are completely "mouseable." The only thing wrong is the screens all look like they were prepared on an old Underwood typewriter. I like best the "DOS" version that lies under Windows95 -- it can use FAT32, and "see" hard drives larger than 2GB.

jerry4dos said:
Not really "nostalgic" -- I never let go of it. I'm still writing large database programs in DOS -- they run fast on any old machine with very low memory requirements, and rarely crash. They use a CUI (character user interface) instead of a GUI and are completely "mouseable." The only thing wrong is the screens all look like they were prepared on an old Underwood typewriter. I like best the "DOS" version that lies under Windows95 -- it can use FAT32, and "see" hard drives larger than 2GB.

Now that's something...we're getting to the exciting material...

Actually, I kind of wonder what types of database programs you create, that might be interesting...

Btw, I still have a WIN98 computer collecting dust in my room. I have an XP stand alone & an XP notebook to replace the WIN98. The beloved WIN98 had kernal problems, a whole bunch of other problems, plus spyware galore but it's still taking up space in my place and that's another story...

jmiller said:
Only 50 posts are now required to get an avatar.

It doesn't seem automatic :rolleyes2

I just reached the 50 threshold yet I am *still* barred from bearing a beloved avatar :biggrin2:

jerry4dos seems to be advocating the merits of not using an avatar. While I can relate to jerry's point of view, I would really like to be able to choose the option. After gaining 50 points I went to the UserCP but alas, I still can't get the avatar :cry2: :biggrin2:

Last edited:
Try now, when you have 51. You should be able to upload an avatar now.

Peo said:
Try now, when you have 51. You should be able to upload an avatar now.

Thanks for the suggestion, Peo, but I just went to UserCP and that radio box was clicked in a way that can't be unclicked, "Do not use an avatar"

:confused4

It could be that it only updates once per day when someone gets over 50.

. . . or per "login." A bunch of stuff seems to get reset after a logout/login. I don't mean just closing the "window," but clicking on the "logout" button which clears all the cookies.

Last edited:
That's kind of cute! I'll bookmark that for a rainy day. Right now, I have to go back to the Free Webspace forum before somebody starts another food fight.

Back