• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Asp Vs Cf Vs Php

ASP/PHP/CF

• PHP

Votes: 21 80.8%
  • ASP

Votes: 4 15.4%
  • CF

Votes: 1 3.8%

• Total voters
Originally posted by harrylmh
So do you think if one should go for an interview with such companies, that he/she should try to convince the company that PHP is better and free?
If your goal is to NOT get a job at that company, then be my guest.

Originally posted by megapuzik

ASP = microsoft = cost you lots of $$$$$ != securety
PHP = free = secure = open-source.

PHP = Pay employees a hell of a lot more, moreso than you would spend on securing ASP

The company should know that PHP is better....
Oh, I'm sure they do, but it's harder to find candidates that know PHP and will work for cheap. It's just more cost efficient to go with ASP.

well , I think that the company should use *free* *nix machines, and dont pay lots of $$ to microsoft....and then, they will have the money to pay to the PHPers.

That's where problems arise, you want standardized formats for databases and files that you transfer to clients and other companies, and they have been relying on Micro$hit software for the last 10 or so years. If you're looking for a job that's geared towards the web and not just programming, then you're in luck because there are many companies out there using PHP, but the majority want to stick to ASP because they feel comfortable being dragged around by Bill Gates, that and they need other people to understand what another is doing. There's a fine line between ideality and reality. Ideally, we'd all be using open source software and Micro$haft would go down the drain. Coming back to reality, Micro$hit dominates the small business software market, and there's not much that can be done unless each and every single company commits to using alternatives.

Originally posted by Phrozen
We having some problems, Hayama? :rolleyes:
It's called lag*.

*lag (c) Verizon 2002. All rights are not reserved

Last edited:
Ahh the classic battle between ASP and PHP, havent we heard this many times before?

OK, here is my opinion:

ASP:
1) It can do basically what php can do (if you use components, like php uses libaries)
2) It literaly squeezes the last bit of ram from your hardware and frys it (it is extremly heavy on system resources
3) Has worse stability then PHP
4) certainly lacks built-in database options (ie. using a crappy access db that can only hold 4 connections at once and poses many security issues because of being an actuall file and they get big very quickly (in size)... unless you use ODBC)
5) the only real upside is that companys want asp programmers for reasons already explained (and companies do whats easiest not necessarily best)
6) It runs best on windows
7) in my opinion its easier to learn (if you use windows, which most of use do), its similar to windows type things

PHP:
1) Stability, this is one of the main reasons why i believe its better
2) Databases, many built in database options, such at potresql, Oracle, and the common one MySql. Another great aspect to php
3) It does what asp does
4) cheaper, in terms of brandwidth and system resources
5) Runs best on unix/linux which are recognized to be best OS for servers
6) It is much 'lighter' then asp
7) Its harder to learn, but somethings are better (for example file upload scripts)

I probably forget lots, but you get the basic idea

oh and coldfusion only needs one sentance to sum it up:
Too Basic, very old.

Originally posted by coldturkey
Ahh the classic battle between ASP and PHP, havent we heard this many times before?

OK, here is my opinion:

ASP:
1) It can do basically what php can do (if you use components, like php uses libaries)
2) It literaly squeezes the last bit of ram from your hardware and frys it (it is extremly heavy on system resources
3) Has worse stability then PHP
4) certainly lacks built-in database options (ie. using a crappy access db that can only hold 4 connections at once and poses many security issues because of being an actuall file and they get big very quickly (in size)... unless you use ODBC)
5) the only real upside is that companys want asp programmers for reasons already explained (and companies do whats easiest not necessarily best)
6) It runs best on windows
7) in my opinion its easier to learn (if you use windows, which most of use do), its similar to windows type things

PHP:
1) Stability, this is one of the main reasons why i believe its better
2) Databases, many built in database options, such at potresql, Oracle, and the common one MySql. Another great aspect to php
3) It does what asp does
4) cheaper, in terms of brandwidth and system resources
5) Runs best on unix/linux which are recognized to be best OS for servers
6) It is much 'lighter' then asp
7) Its harder to learn, but somethings are better (for example file upload scripts)

I probably forget lots, but you get the basic idea

oh and coldfusion only needs one sentance to sum it up:
Too Basic, very old.

php run perfectly on unix, and with the new php version, its also run very very good on microshit servers as well..

php it easier cuz its c-like... and asp is vb-like
and we all know the vb is shit and C is real programming...

you need to pay money to run asp on *nix machine (chillisoft asp).

and we all know the vb is shit and C is real programming...
And we all know that it's easier to get a job knowing the shittier languages.

Originally posted by Hayama-kun

And we all know that it's easier to get a job knowing the shittier languages.

What ??????
who the hell need VB programers ?? any company that uses VB dont know nothing and will "live" for about a week !!!
"real" companies use C/C++/VC++..... and no VB !
evan Micro$hit use VC++ and not VB....

VB = programing for kids !

What ??????
who the hell need VB programers ?? any company that uses VB dont know nothing and will "live" for about a week !!!
"real" companies use C/C++/VC++..... and no VB !
evan Micro$hit use VC++ and not VB....

VB = programing for kids !
My my, apparently you know nothing about the private sector. Come to Lower Manhattan and especially Wall Street, and see how many companies use vb.

Well, the big money is in PHP and REAL programing !
If you want to get small $$ sure, you can use VB, but like I said...small and usless $$.

and the performence...hehe..I think we all know that ASP is suck, and all other micro$hit stuff are suck !

And these days, people get the idea that they better use good performence ant pay little more money (or less !) and go with PHP for the net stuff, and C/CPP...for the other stuff...

Hayama-kun, are you working in micro$soft ???
:confused: :confused:

I don't believe it's the language that determines how much money you make, but how and what you program. Different languages have different good and bad points. C++ is faster and more flexible. But if there's one thing C++ can do that VB cannot, it's better games. VB on the other hand, is a rapid application development tool. It is interpreted so it's a little slow but I admit that it's really easier and faster to build windows app with VB because you just click and drag and you have a button or a checkbox or field or whatever.

What language to use depends really more on the application you intend to build.

The problem with microsoft things is that they change things so fast. I was told that those who know asp3.0 may be confused with the big conceptual changes in asp.net

From my experience with ASP.Net (Beta 2) so far, I have to commend Microsoft with what they have. ASP.Net is going to revolutionalize the next generation of server-side scripting, web applications and the web services (XML/BizTalk) arena. It's an awesome framework specially for enterprise-level development.

Originally posted by harrylmh
So should PHP be PHP.net too?

php.net is the php official web-site :D

PHP is the best and will be the best, and asp.net is just a micro$shit way the get more $$..

Like I said, real programing is php, and NOT asp that suck.

Hayama-kun, are you working in micro$soft ???
:confused: :confused:
No, in fact I have a job that requires me to know Perl. I am trying to make a point here, and that is in order to find employment, one must be flexible, even if it means you must use a Micro$hit language.

Originally posted by KeMuRie

huh ? and asp isn't free ?

the things you need to run asp

- windows ! (or Chillisoft on apache, but it cost lots of $$)
- if you want to use access (most of them use) so you need microsoft office
- many "havy" asp programers need the MSDN pack
- asp upload compoment
- all the asp mail stuff
- and more....

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^= this all things cost lots of $$$

the things you need to run php
- any server ! (use apache that installed on a *nix ,achine, and get better performence and it cost 0 $)
- you need the php compiler (free download from php.net)
- the best databse is mySQL (free from mysql.com)

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^=this all thing are FREE

Back