• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

aon servers... the worst hosting ever

Status
Not open for further replies.
Now it appears that they have been kicked off of there host. Thats great. Something tells me that they pissed there host off too.

Also it appears they don't know about backups...

Now it appears that they have been kicked off of there host. Thats great. Something tells me that they pissed there host off too.

Also it appears they don't know about backups...

It seems they do now - http://aonservers.com/

Hello!I kept my promise. There are now backups for AONServers.All of you have two hours to backup any new data you have.If you are a new customer, please backup all of your data.Sometime in the next 4 hours, I will terminate all hosting accounts and do a full restore from backups.At that time, new customers will have to sign up again and restore their data. Existing customers will be able to simply use their data again.Any questions can be asked by emailing me at dean1012@gmail.com.Thank you!Jerry SmithForum

Don't know when that was changed to that on the page but it seems a little fast to expect everyone to react within 2/4 hours, especially ifyour not in thier timezone.

It sorta gives the impression that they are using a reseller account to run a hosting service, which just isn't really sensible ..... if you're going to offer free hosting you should have at least one server to do it with ....

Hello everyone.

I'm Jerry.

I was trying to hold back on posting but I suppose I need to clear up some issues. I made a mistake and I'd like to make clear to everyone what that mistake was and who I am.

First, I am not a part of AONServers. I was never hired by AONServers and never voluntiered my time as a part of AONServers and was never considered a staff member for AONServers.

I met AONServers a month or so by chance. I just happened to be surfing a free webhosting discussion board. I saw AONServers mentioned. I visited their site out of curiousity and I saw that they were giving free hosting and that their users tended to be pretty happy with them.

I found out they were hosting on a VPS account that they purchased from BuyAVPS. BuyAVPS was having difficulties at the time with some downtime and whatnot. I really liked AONServers' effort. I asked both owners (MicGoogle and Tim) a series of questions like what the average load on the VPS was, how many hosting accounts, RAM/HDD/Bandwidth usage, etc...

After I received my answers, I came to them with a deal. I had a dedicated server I was barely using and wanted to get better use out of it. I offered to host them on my dedicated server. I offered them a pretty large limit of 100 GB HDD and 800 GB Bandwidth. Since I was barely using the server and I'm not a hosting business, I could essentially give them use of an entire dedicated server through a WHM reseller account. It wouldn't be overselling and all resources would be guaranteed. I even gave them 4 dedicated IPs and let them continue to use custom nameservers. With this also came offsite backups and DNS.

We made a deal for $70/month with the first month free and first payment due on September 1st.

At the time, I was under the strict impression all they offered was shared hosting. Tim gave me the WHM login of the VPS to see loads and stuff for myself. I immediately saw he offered reseller hosting. Upon asking him, he agreed to no longer offer reseller hosting. I kept pushing Tim to give me permission to do the move before it was too late but he kept insisting on waiting. Eventually, BuyAVPS went down.

Once this happened, Tim was forced to move to me without any backups and start over. MicGoogle was at vacation during this entire time.

Soon after this, arguments between Tim and I began. It seems he also sold TeamSpeak. Being nice, I extended my offer and decided to host his teamspeak as well without increase in price. Then, he asked me to setup a windows VPS on my linux server. I'm not even sure if that is possible but even if it is, I refused. He continuously bugged me about this till the very end. He then started asking to run various linux game servers. Apparently that is another service AONServers offered. I refused on this as well and also got bugged about it.

After refusing both the VPS and the game servers, he insisted I lower the price. Being real nice, I lower it to $60/month without question.

Then, my dedicated server provider was nice enough to go buy out BuyAVPS to restart that company and help everyone with their data. So, the VPS gets started back up. This means there is access to the old files. Note, there weren't backups of the old data ever. There was just the VPS back up. I notified Tim and he gave me permission to transfer accounts.

Without going into too many details, I ordered my provider to log into the VPS and transfer the accounts. It was then that I was notified that there were several suspicious accounts on the old VPS that shouldn't be there at all. I asked Tim and his staff members for information on this and their answers were very vague and suspicious.

After meeting with my provider on the issue, we decided AONServers was too high a risk to host. In light that their VPS was back up and untouched, I gave them 24 hours to change nameservers and move back to the VPS. I offered to extend the deadline to give more time for nameserver propogation to mitigate downtime. Once 15 hours or so passed, no reasonable effort had been made to change nameservers. As a result, I terminated all AONServers accounts that were on my server, including their shell account with teamspeak, right at the 24 hour mark.

I would like to note a few misc. things as well. First, just in case someone says 24 hours isn't enough, I e-mailed Tim backups of files on my server including the teamspeak database. Even if he failed to back them up, I made sure he had the backups. Second, I gave him a 3-4 hour courtesy notice again before the 24 hours was up. Third, nothing stopped him from switching back to the old VPS except himself. As of the time this post is being written, their old VPS is still up and their nameservers still point to my server.

I would also like to point out that while AONServers was hosted on my server, and before my host found those suspicious accounts, AONServers was already in violation of my agreement with them several times. Several of their hosting accounts were found to be hosting proxies, illegal mp3s, software, etc... while on my server. One of those accounts were even owned by one of their staff members.

Now, one more thing i'd like to clear up. I'm sure after reading this, someone is wondering why my name (Jerry Smith/jsmith) was in prominent display on both the forums and the notice that was quoted earlier about having backups if I am not a part of AONServers.

Because I am a very very nice guy, I decided to help them out. They had no backups, their primary owner was on vacation, etc... They needed help. I started by making a temp site that some of you may have seen. It allowed you to signup for free hosting using a form that would email itself to Tim and his staff. Second, I created the forums and took it upon myself to post actively on it to help resolve support issues and answer any questions people had about the restart and what happened.

I was planning the entire time, and Tim knew it, to stop end-user support once they got on their feet and MicGoogle was back. When the old VPS came back up, I was planning on restoring the backups then stepping away from support completely.

That is why I posted my final notice about the backups on the main site.

THE ABOVE WAS COMPLETELY FACTUAL INFORMATION IN CHRONOLOGICAL ORDER THE BEST IT CAN BE

THE BELOW IS COMPLETELY MY OPINION AND DOES NOT NECESSARILY REFLECT FACT OR THE FEELINGS OF MY PROVIDER

I believe AONServers is very bad. Tim had told me he was a teen and that MicGoogle was an adult. I later found out MicGoogle is also a teen.

I was told AONServers is a legal business. I have found no evidence to support this and have every reason to believe they are not.

I was told AONServers had a valid license to sell TeamSpeak. I have found no evidence to support this and have every reason to believe they are not.

I was told AONServers had an approved license to sell Ventrilo. I knew this to be crap the second Tim said this.

I was told AONServers actively searched for illegal material. I know this to be false now.

One of Tim's last posts on the temp forum I had setup stated that AONServers now sold EVERYTHING. He used the word everything. He listed, in specific: shared/reseller hosting, teamspeak/ventrilo, VPS, gameservers, web design, etc...

This is perhaps the best one... when they got restarted, one of the staff members who calls themselves "spanky" was added to the temp forums as an admin and given a site with unlimited features. Tim messaged me on AIM demanding to know who created spanky's site and why it had unlimited features. He also demanded to know why he is an admin on the forum. He wanted everything from spanky removed and the WHM password changed. I changed the password and removed spanky's site and had the forum admin remove him from the forum. The forum admin confirmed he was staff. I verified with Tim and Tim claimed he "never heard of spanky". So off spanky went. Several forum members protested saying spanky was staff but I couldn't readd spanky without Tim's permission. Spanky sent me a private message saying Tim knows him by his AIM. I shared his AIM with Tim and once again Tim had "never heard of spanky". I give spanky Tim's AIM. He messages Tim and a second later, Tim messages me "I know who spanky is, readd him".

Tim doesn't even know his own staff!

AONServers jumps providers a lot from what i've heard. This is due to the fact that they operate so badly. They don't know what they are doing really and operate illegally. Once hosts find this out, they kick them off and they have to find a new place.

I hope AONServers doesn't get started back up again, it'd be terrible.

Once again, i really didn't want to post this but I saw my name being introduced and I wanted to clear up who I am, what my relationship to AONServers is, and why they were terminated.

If you have any questions about this, I'll try to keep my eye on this post or you can reach me on AIM at abdulwaseh2005.

Wow ..good read Jerry,
Thanks for sharing this with our members. I believe you have the right to clear your name. Sounds like it was a nightmare working with them.

Man, That was a long read :)

It was really nice of you to post that. They seem to be coming back, But all I see at the moment is a cPanel default page. If they do come back, It would probably be wise to advise the server provider of this thread, As they look like a terrible company.

Ahh, i thought i mentioned this in my post. They have not changed their nameserver IPs. Therefore, for some reason, their domain still points to my server. However, since their account is no longer on my server it displays my cPanel page.

I hope they don't come back and I'm glad I have the support of all of you. I was afraid of being shunned as that was my first post.

Man, That was a long read :)

It was really nice of you to post that. They seem to be coming back, But all I see at the moment is a cPanel default page. If they do come back, It would probably be wise to advise the server provider of this thread, As they look like a terrible company.

Well you seemed pretty intelligent, honest and fair by what you posted so there is no reason to shunn you.

Jerry,
You sound like a nice guy that got talked into doing something you didn't want to in West Hollywood oO. Your story is believable.
Chris

Last edited:
My favourite part was when he didn't know who "spanky" was .... as if you would forget the name "spanky" ....

Yes, i should have asked for proof of a lot of things - including proof of teamspeak license.

You live and you learn though. From what i've been told, at least one of their ex-customers is planning to sue them. They may not be back.

A little off-topic, but do ALL replies have to be approved? Or is it possible to outgrow that?

Hmm... I guess I didn't outgrow it like I originally posted. Having to wait for approval really isn't cool. Any idea when this wears off?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back