• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Any experience with Cedega?

foo2thabar

NLC
Long story short, I bought the 320GB/7200RPM Western Digital Jeebusbook, I mean MyBook, for a whopping $119.99 + Tax and shoved all my ---- onto it, then wiped my laptop's drive and put Ubuntu on it, which ups my number of computers running linux to 2 out of 3. The thing is, this is my main computer. As in, it's been two days and I miss Counter-Strike dearly.

So, does anyone have any experience with Cedega? My experiences with WinE have been rocky and have shown me that nothing is usable in the end, but I'm aware that Cedega is designed with a single purpose rather than trying to be everything at once. Oh, and my experiences with the free CVS-Cedega are that it's broken. Anyone successfully built that one? I know I haven't. But then, I'm definitely still a linux n00bzilla, even after all these years. And if the pay Cedega is better than the free Cedega, I guess I can cough up $5 to download the f$%#ing thing.

(Screen shot. I told myself I wouldn't OSX this install out like I did my Gentoo box (which I use primarily for SSH-tunneling when I'm using wireless networks. I'm sorry, Gentoo), but I couldn't find any lighter-colored themes that I like, and I really like the whole starter bar dealio.)

I've used Cedega for basic applications and games but i wouldn't recommend it for heavy use as not every program will work.

I've used Cedega for basic applications and games but i wouldn't recommend it for heavy use as not every program will work.

Well, I was sort of hinting at Counter-Strike in the original post.

But, looking more at the Cedega site, it seems some of my other games have gotten 4/5 stars in usability with Cedega. CS has a good rating, too.

Wine > Cedega.

Plus, it's free.

Cedega's free, too. At least part of it.

But, like I said in my OP, my experiences with WinE have been terrible. Maybe it's improved in the last year-ish when I last used it. What games have you gotten to run under WinE?

[edit]

I said ---- it, and to give wine a try again. Whaddaya know, it's improved.

Last edited:
My experiences with WinE have been rocky and have shown me that nothing is usable in the end, but I'm aware that Cedega is designed with a single purpose rather than trying to be everything at once.

As far as I know WINE executes Counter-Strike faster than Cedega does in some benchmarks. I have always had great success with WINE. I hardly ever get less framerates running Counter-Strike under WINE than on my Windows box. Is this Counter-Strike 1.6 or Counter-Strike: Source?

Grr, i spoke too soon. Steam runs great, but CS hangs on startup.

Are you certain you changed your audio driver to OSS and to Emulation level from winecfg?

Wine > Cedega.

Plus, it's free.

I agree ;)

Best wishes

RavenServers

CS has a linux version?

You missed the "with wine" part of his post. :p

Speaking of wine, does anybody know why on earth this retarded file path would appear in PS?

ben 15126 0.5 0.3 4288 1896 ? Ss 11:37 0:36 /usr/bin/../lib/../bin/wineserver

Notice it goes to /usr/bin, down to /usr, up to /usr/lib, back down to /usr, then back into /usr/bin?

It's not doing anything, I'm just curious why it would follow a path like that.

I'm assuming maybe ummm, lol umm... maybe it's just not displaying the text for the, ".." parts? dunno :p

Back