• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

And this is why we manually review accounts

Status
Not open for further replies.

revolve3

So I noticed last night that we got a bunch of new signups. Well, the key to getting to use our services is if you provide details that are presumably true. Then I found this gem waiting to be activated:
First name: Do
Last name: Tuyen
Company: Gia dinh
Address: 1800 F Street, NW, Washington, DC 20405
City: Washington
State/Province: Florida
Zip/Postal code: 70000
Phone number: 12347852
Fax number:
Email Address: v[...]v@gmail.com

Referrer: Google

Signup IP: 77.68.XX.XX
United Kingdom
Signup Date: 2009-11-16 09:10:45
Because that doesn't have "server abuse" written all over it.
Providing a Washington DC address and providing your state is Florida with a non-existent zip code?

I have noticed some of you from here who have signed up. Thank you so much for being honest & not trying to fake your information. You will notice your applications got approved while fake applications like this got denied.

One thing that I noticed as soon as I seen this was that they state they're from USA yet their IP address is from the UK.

so whats the deal, if customer is paying you and serious in biz it doesn't matter.
these days number of companies have small branches or man power dispersed in different regions , that is like account department is in US but technical team is in india.
technical person can give your order for server and payments will be done from US account. I thinks its not a big deal as long as there is no fraud

So I noticed last night that we got a bunch of new signups. Well, the key to getting to use our services is if you provide details that are presumably true. Then I found this gem waiting to be activated:

Because that doesn't have "server abuse" written all over it.
Providing a Washington DC address and providing your state is Florida with a non-existent zip code?

I have noticed some of you from here who have signed up. Thank you so much for being honest & not trying to fake your information. You will notice your applications got approved while fake applications like this got denied.

We've gotten quite a few of these lately, but you know, I love the address, leads strate to the GSA Central Office. :p

lol. There's been 1 fraudulent individual particular over at my place. He's caused huge financial losses with chargebacks over the past year. Interestingly, I've found that every single account has the same password.
You might want to check small details such as the password for the account and the hosting account itself.

So what we can summarize is that we need to check for email addresses, phone numbers and pin codes that may seem fake. Any other checks?

Another thing, if you get an order for over $100, you should consider calling the customer to do some identification checks.

anyway, as long as their paypal is an verified account, that is good enough.
and also, their correspondence email address is reachable, then it is good.

coz some users do concern about identity theft and always use incorrect info.
but anyway, majority of those who use fake info is usually those fraud order that will never pay for the order's invoice...

anyway, as long as their paypal is an verified account, that is good enough.
and also, their correspondence email address is reachable, then it is good.

coz some users do concern about identity theft and always use incorrect info.
but anyway, majority of those who use fake info is usually those fraud order that will never pay for the order's invoice...

Hmmm, I would say it's not good enough. Do you really want to knowingly take fraud orders? If a customer doesn't want to disclose his or her address confidentially to a service provider - there is definitely a problem.

anyway, usually those who have verified paypal account will use their real information when they signup for some hosting packages
:)

I have found that every single client that signed up with un matched personal info to be a trouble maker of some kind. It's really really annoying and more importantly time consuming to have to clean up, investigate, apologize to your providers because you let someone in that you knew would bite you in the a**.

If it doesn't match, like their state is in the wrong contry, that's a bad sign.
If they are missing tons of info on their user account, that's another bad sign.
If max mind gives you a score of 90, and you set it to allow 5 and below, that's a bad sign.
If their payment doesn't match their personal info, that's a good warning. Though not a requirement.

There's really so much to look out for, it's almost an art in of itself.

humm, yeah. It would also be a good idea to check up if the users have the rights to run any kind of scripts on the server, that could cause problems.

A fake looking phone number is also a sign of a bad sign up

Lock up your forums with accesses only to registered users. Also disable 'nobody' from sending mails. Check up on mail relays

Any other precautions that you may take?

Last edited by a moderator:
We have always reviewed free hosting account orders before accepting and we also ask in the order to provide details of the site content.

With our paid accounts they have instant activation once first payment has been recived due to paid accounts are less likely to be abused.

Yes, it would always be a proactive action to verify the signup either via email or by calling up on the number provided and then clearing them off

Are there scripts that could detect malicious scripts running on the server and send emails out to you? .... this way we could be on the action even before there's panic

Also, there are monitoring softwares that check for load causing scripts and send you an email with the details. Someone aware of these?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back