• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

AMZWeb.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally posted by rtsoftware

Then one day, I asked about setting up a cgi script to count the number of downloads for my softwares and I started getting hell. All downloads for my zip files are stopped. Now, what is a software author without zip files or any other archive files?

Below is an excerpt for all to take note:
***** Start quote *****
AMZ:
No, it means we are getting ready to delete your entire account.

The issue is not so much the script as what it is for. The AMZ Web Hosting network is designed in such a way that hosting download files is impossible. ZIP files cannot be accessed on FREE accounts via the web and remote hotlinking of images is also blocked on all AMZ Web Hosting FREE accounts.
Because of this, you would almost certainly would have to violate the external connection rules in your download counting script to access your download files that would have to be located on some other hosting provider for the obvious technical reasons given above.

Well, what do you expect from a free service? No free service will allow external linking to non-HTML files because it opens them up to warez and storage abuse. Before you rely on external services, such as download counters, you must ask yourself, "Is it really worth risking my free site for?" Do you really NEED to track your downloads?

The issue is not of download tracking and hotlinking. The issue is that I was given a free host knowing that I am a software author. And after asking them about the cgi script, non of the zip files can be downloaded, even from my own site. If you had read carefully, what they mean is that NO ZIP FILES can be downloaded from free hosting not to mention hotlinking. And the issue here is of rude service and threatening a potential customer when the mistake when made by them.

I had an account with them, I was hosting my XMB board there with quite a few posts then the next day I got it converted to a PHPBB board, I thought someone hacked it... (stupid thought) but they said that all people now had to convert their forums to PHPBB. It wasn't flexible at all...some may say all forums are the same but once you like a particular board, you like it - you don't want to use another one.

Which is why I offlinked it to another host...I'm not saying they're a bad host (reliability was good too), however I think their ToS is particularly strict, but hey...I'm on a paid host with a LOT of flexibility, a lot of data transfer and space and you can host whatever board you like as well as the freedom of running PHP/CGI scripts. I could even host a few sites myself. :D

Originally posted by KBC
I had an account with them, I was hosting my XMB board there with quite a few posts then the next day I got it converted to a PHPBB board, I thought someone hacked it... (stupid thought) but they said that all people now had to convert their forums to PHPBB. It wasn't flexible at all...some may say all forums are the same but once you like a particular board, you like it - you don't want to use another one.

Which is why I offlinked it to another host...I'm not saying they're a bad host (reliability was good too), however I think their ToS is particularly strict, but hey...I'm on a paid host with a LOT of flexibility, a lot of data transfer and space and you can host whatever board you like as well as the freedom of running PHP/CGI scripts. I could even host a few sites myself. :D

Offcourse they are strict, its still a free host. They make the rules.
Paid is always better. You aint get everything for free.
If you want freedom, go paid. Thats what you did and thats what
all other people who are complaining about freedom with free hosts should do .

Originally posted by [NeO]

Offcourse they are strict, its still a free host. They make the rules.
Paid is always better. You aint get everything for free.
If you want freedom, go paid. Thats what you did and thats what
all other people who are complaining about freedom with free hosts should do .

Hmm...yes...true...true...true...The rules they have adopted aren't bad but for some it may be too strict. As they say...it keeps free hosting accounts down.

Ok, their rules are very strict, but as you said that's the free hosting and they need to monitor the pages to be sure there's no warez there. If you looked at the paid hosting TOS, they have "normal" restrictions, they allow zip files, every language... and that's because you PAY for that service.

One more thing: AMZ is very strict with the rules but, have you seen any more realiable host? It's really hard to find a free host with CGI, PHP, mySQL, up to 70 MB space, subdomain/domain, mail function enabled and a good realiability :)

If you had read carefully, what they mean is that NO ZIP FILES can be downloaded from free hosting.

If they don't allow the .zip's to be downloaded, then why do they allow them to be uploaded? Friggin' dumbasses.

Originally posted by Cracker
If they don't allow the .zip's to be downloaded, then why do they allow them to be uploaded? Friggin' dumbasses.

NO idea. And they even host me. Which software author doesn't have archive files? And they knew why I need the space for as well.
:rolleyes:

Doesn't matter, didn't want to post about it untill AMZ posted that message about feeling free to ask and being flexible etc. That was the last straw.

NO idea. And they even host me. Which software author doesn't have archive files? And they knew why I need the space for as well.
:rolleyes:

Doesn't matter, didn't want to post about it untill AMZ posted that message about feeling free to ask and being flexible etc. That was the last straw.

rtsoftware, I have no idea why you are making up false
messages that were never sent to you or why you are
complaining and telling stories.

You are one of the few users that are allowed to have ZIP
files. We do that for most software authors and you already
know that.

To everyone else following this conversation .... the message
that rtsoftware posted earlier in this thread is fake. No such
message was ever sent to him. The wierd thing is that he is
actually a very good example of how we are flexible. Something
he didn't bother to tell anyone is that we setup his account to
allow ZIP files when he first signed up as a special favor and
those ZIP files still work even right now! :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Originally posted by amz

rtsoftware, I have no idea why you are making up false
messages that were never sent to you or why you are
complaining and telling stories.

You are one of the few users that are allowed to have ZIP
files. We do that for most software authors and you already
know that.

To everyone else following this conversation .... the message
that rtsoftware posted earlier in this thread is fake. No such
message was ever sent to him. The wierd thing is that he is
actually a very good example of how we are flexible. Something
he didn't bother to tell anyone is that we setup his account to
allow ZIP files when he first signed up as a special favor and
those ZIP files still work even right now! :rolleyes:

I don't make up stories. I still have all the email correspondence in my email. I have a habit of saving ALL my emails and that has saved my --- a couple of time. I have been corresponding with "Sales Department" <sales@amzweb.com>. If you want, you give me another email address of yours and I will forward all of them to you for your reference. Yes, I do agress and I never deny the fact that when I first got my amz hosting, I was able to use zip files and stuff. In this thread, you would have gathered that zip files stopped being downloadable after I approached sales@amzweb.com for help regarding setting up of cgi. Then after that, it started working again. When I mailed back to ask whether I have been cleared, the response was a single line. "No, it means we are getting ready to delete your entire account."

I repeat again, if you want you can PM me another email address. I will forward you ALL the emails I got from sales@amzweb.com.

I repeat again, if you want you can PM me another email address. I will forward you ALL the emails I got from sales@amzweb.com.

We have investigated the message that you sent us in PM
and like the message you posted earlier in this thread, that
message also is invalid as well. It fails our steganographic
identification and the message ID number is invalid. We log
every message received or transmitted from our servers and
also embed a special invisible identification stamp.

We would certainly be interested in receiving copies of all
the messages you claim to have. We have forwarded you
that contact address in PM as requested.

Aside from checking mail communication, we have also gone
back and checked your web server usage and error logs as
well and can find no indication where you have ever had any
trouble downloading ZIP files on your account.

I'm getting the really strong impression here that you may
of simply read the TOS ... got confused and simply thought
it applied to your account when we already made special
circumstance arrangements for you.

Logs on servers can be altered. And so, one of your employees must have been extremely rude to me and other customers.

I had problems downloading zip files around 6th or 7th Sep.

I have sent you all the email correspondence with their headers.

I didn't even know about the TOS until I was told by your staff to read it carefully and if I have read it and still don't see the significance, I must be blind. :angry2:

I believe there are only two rules in the business world.
1) The customer is always right.
2) If in doubt, refer to rule 1.

You should find out who that person who has been emailing with me and kick his --- out of your company.

But even if you refuse to admit that the mistake is made from your side, I have nothing to say since it has been quite a long time already.

Originally posted by amz

We have investigated the message that you sent us in PM
and like the message you posted earlier in this thread, that
message also is invalid as well. It fails our steganographic
identification and the message ID number is invalid. We log
every message received or transmitted from our servers and
also embed a special invisible identification stamp.

We would certainly be interested in receiving copies of all
the messages you claim to have. We have forwarded you
that contact address in PM as requested.

Aside from checking mail communication, we have also gone
back and checked your web server usage and error logs as
well and can find no indication where you have ever had any
trouble downloading ZIP files on your account.

I'm getting the really strong impression here that you may
of simply read the TOS ... got confused and simply thought
it applied to your account when we already made special
circumstance arrangements for you.

is'nt it convinient how amz always has en excuse.. if rsoft has the emails i believe him and i belive that they were nto doctored..buty of course it does not corrospond with the secutrity number on the amz logs.. wow wat a coincidence..

i am put off amz already

I believe there are only two rules in the business world.
1) The customer is always right.
2) If in doubt, refer to rule 1.

Technically, you're right there. However, since amz offered you a free service, he has nothing to lose by disregarding rule #1, other than possible forgone revenue by you not using his pay service.

Originally posted by Cracker
Technically, you're right there. However, since amz offered you a free service, he has nothing to lose by disregarding rule #1, other than possible forgone revenue by you not using his pay service.

That's something I could never understand. Free doesn't mean it has to be of bad quality or unreliability or instability. AMZ hosting is very reliable.

When something is given to you free, it doesn't mean that the giver has the rights to do everything and anything. Giving something free doesn't automatically put someone into God status.

If one wants to give for free, one has to make sure that the freebie is as good as it is paid in terms of service. Given free doesn't mean I am a beggar so I can't choose. Even beggars chooses.

In the software world, there are things like "Lite" versions which are essentially free but cut down on functions compared to the paid version. I am sure you would not use the "Lite" version if it is extremely buggy and would not work half the time or even crashes your computer. You might even be put off paying for the commercial version. Look at XNetwork, HostUltra, I can tell you I will not even consider their paid hosting.

Look at HostUltra, I can tell you I will not even consider their paid hosting.

What is wrong with HostUltra (of course, what do I know, I don't use them)?

Originally posted by netnexus
is'nt it convinient how amz always has en excuse.. if rsoft has the emails i believe him and i belive that they were nto doctored..buty of course it does not corrospond with the secutrity number on the amz logs.. wow wat a coincidence..

i am put off amz already

netnexus,

It is not just our own logs that we have verified but the
actual messages that were posted here and also sent to
us to review by rtsoftware as well.

We stamp every message from our departments with a
hidden steganographic signature. Those signatures did
not appear in any message that rtsoftware forwarded to us.

Every email message has a message ID associated with it.
That message ID on the messages presented for review
did not have the proper sequence.

The construction of the mail header was also invalid as well.

Disregarding all of that which clearly indicates the message
did not originate at AMZ, we proceeded to also check the
server mail logs ...

No record of any message could be found with the ID given.

No record of any message TO or FROM rtsoftware could be
found for the dates or times given in the message that
rtsoftware presented. We even checked to see if ANYONE
including users sent him a message ... nobody ... no messages.

Checking the router IP logs, we cannot find any connection
that would match the IPs in the message nor can we find
any attempt of our mail server attempting to connect to the
mail server of rtsoftware's mail service provider.

At this point, it already looks fairly bleak but we continue ...

We have 24 copies of the log files each secured on seperate
servers and encrypted with a different encryption method and
protected with CRC / Key signatures. Each copy of the server
logs requires the secret keys from a different combination of
administrators in order to decode the log files.

24 copies were decoded and checked against the original
logs and each copy matched the original perfectly.

Again, no indication of any message to or from rtsoftware.

The message headers, the server logs, the backup of the
server logs, AND the router logs all agree that there was
never any such message.

This is not to say that rtsoftware is a liar by any means but it
does clearly confirm that the messages he received did not
originate at AMZ. The messages he supposedly sent to us
on those dates were also never received by us either.

Netnexus, it is not a matter of "excuses". We have spent a
very substantial amount of time investigating this matter on
the behalf of rtsoftware and everything we have seen gives
the same conclusion consistently.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back