• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

256k = 2.3 k!

TRUNKS

Something
NLC
Ive got an ADSL 256k connection but some downloads download at 1.x K! >=( 3.0k if Im lucky. How can I make it rise?! I wont be doing anything else that'd use up internet speed... stupid internet >_<

Originally posted by TRUNKS
Only 50 days left of download time! :p

Well, some Questions:

Who is your Internet Service Provider?
Are you using a Cable Modem?
Did you left Kazaa/E-mule Open?
Do you share the Bandwith with other Computers?

256kb is about 30kB/s so you should get around 25kB/s or so on average.

It also depends on the speed ofthe server you're downloading from though.

Originally posted by TRUNKS
Yeah...Kazaa :doh!:

ADSL Modem.

DoDo Internet.

Kazaa doesn't only depend on the speed of your connection, it depends on the person you're downloading from.

Originally posted by MATRIX
Well, some Questions:

Who is your Internet Service Provider?
Are you using a Cable Modem?
Did you left Kazaa/E-mule Open?
Do you share the Bandwith with other Computers?
He already said he's using ADSL on the first post. BTW its bandwidth not bandwith.

Hmm, call up your ISP and ask...

Originally posted by Robert
Run a speed test at

nyc.speakeasy.net to give me an idea what your speeds are

That'd be the most useless thing ever. Australia to North America is obviously going to be slow.

Originally posted by Daniel
That'd be the most useless thing ever. Australia to North America is obviously going to be slow.

Actually I get the same results from there that I do when i do speedtests from servers in Australia.

Originally posted by Robert
Actually I get the same results from there that I do when i do speedtests from servers in Australia.

But it won't be as accurate than if you were to test against a server closest to you.

Actually it makes sense, if trunks is downloading of someone from the USA, the speed to the USA would be what you want to speed test. If he's downloading from someone in Italy, test from Italy, etc.

Ahh TRUNKS, sucked in by the unfeasable (atleast in Aus, for the moment) unlimited DSL. All the leechers on one seriously underprovisioned network. Dodo, along with all (most) of the other unlimited DSL providers are on this networking, reselling the same service.

The slow speed is due to the fact that the contention ratio is 30/1 or greater. This means that for every 30 512k connections, there is only one real 512k amount of bandwith. Mmm 512k between 30 users, nice and slow.

Usually contention ratios that high can be workable, however unlimited does not attract those mum and dad type users who don't download too much, it is more likely to attract leechers, hence why 30/1 is unworkable, and you get shocking download speeds.

This is why you cannot do much to improve your download speed.

My fren from India had this problem. A company was reselling their 128kbps line to thousands of people. Thank God it doesn't happen here in Malaysia.

Back