• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Bullfighting - a cruel and murderous Spanish tradition

THE BULL WHO LOVED FLOWERS
(Especially Yellow Ones)

Although most bulls are born aggressive
And when in love become possessive
He preferred a gentle life
Passionless and free from strife
Happiness for endless hours
Was for him a field of flowers
While the others bashed and banged their horns
Crashed and splattered through the thorns
In search of victory or of love
For him the yellow tall foxglove
Or any other bloom with scent
Was all he asked to be content
The rest thought him a sorry sight
And jeered because he would not fight
But he refused to join their band
And so they called him Fedinand
For if he would not be the same
He well deserved a funny name
To prove he differed from the herd
As much as any flying bird
For if he risked not horn nor limb
They did not wish to notice him
At first poor Ferdy was distraught
Because in truth he new he ought
To fight and battle with the rest
To prove who would turn out the best
Ere with a bellowed battle hymn
Proceed to slaughter in the ring
Yet before he met his Matador
He asked for just a little more
Of life within his peaceful meadow
Filled with buttercups so yellow
That grew beside the sparkling rill
Where every eve he drank his fill
And watched the dancing gnats at play
As dusk crept down upon the day
He really had no wish to vie
And go off somewhere else to die
With bloodied back and head deep bowed
To satisfy some rabid crowd
Life he deemed must have more point
Than ending as a Sunday joint
Deep down he knew this logic right
And determined that he would not fight
No matter how they laughed at him
This was a duel he could not win

Then came the day when he was taken
From his green and peaceful haven
Herded beaten whipped and struck
Into a darkened cattle truck
And after hours of grinding haul
Was led into a blood stenched stall
Left there thirsting through the night
Ere prodded out into the light
Where he stood blinking till he saw
Before him stood the Matador
Poor Ferdy knew his time had come
There was no place where he could run
And so he did the strangest thing
He sat down gracefully in the ring
The crowd let out a maddened roar
And ridiculed the Matador
Who used to being loved adored
Pierced poor Ferdy with his sword
As he died and eyes grew dim
Suddenly it seemed to him
The huge arena was transformed
And now was beautifully adorned
With primrose yellow daffodil
He sighed contented and was still

There's also the matter of the horrors they Australian and NZ sheep have to suffer. :confused2
:p

+chips,

We are talking about bull fighting in Spanish class and my teacher is rambling on and on about how great it is. She has seen one and keeps going on and on about how the smell of blood makes this "sport" so fun to watch. She asked for a show of hands on who would want to see one and me and a few other people didn't raise our hands. She tried to say that those of us who didn't raise our hands would love it more than the rest.

She says that the only thing they do to the bull is stab its upper neck muscles so the bull keeps its head down; therefore, not being able to see the matador's eyes (according to her, if the bull sees the matador's eyes the bull will kill that matador, no doubt about it). I knew that the lances in the bull's back was just the tip of the ice berg as far as what they do to the poor bull.

I would love to print out what you posted and show it to her. Would you mind?

I just couldn't resist this thread...

Animalsvoice.com? Give me a break... they are idiots who doesn't even know what a culture is. They are fools beyond belief... I am sick and tired of little know-it-alls who run around with their snobbish ways telling what I like or not.

I am proud of my country, and of its ways.

In my country we rape little children.

But it's okay. We've been doing it for centuries.

So I'm proud of it, and it's perfectly okay.

for the first time in the history of FWS, I must agree with Giancarlo on this issue. I am a strong beliver in tradition and culture basically because it has alot to do with your everyday life style and the way you live. If you want to kill bulls for sport, well, have fun. Think about it. Isn't "Sport hunting" the same basic thing? I mean hell guys with scoped(wimps wont event use iron sights) rifles go out and shot a deer so they can cut it's head off and mount it on a peice of wood. Why arn't you pointing that out? Maybe because nobody has a problem with it? Where are the animal rights activist who are worried about bambi? I can answer the question. It's because deer hunting has been part of American culture for years and years. So now that you see that killing animals for sport isn't just bulls in Spain, you might want to broaden your argument.

If you knew anything about animal rights, you would know that killing creatures for sport (ie: dear hunting) is not condoned.

Actually there are several activist groups against hunting.

But again, hunting and bullfighting aren't on a par. With hunting you want to try to kill the animal quickly, one shot if at all possible. The entire point of a bullfight is stretching it as long as it'll last.

Once more, how far must something go before it's no longer covered by "it's in our culture"? I believe it was in the Kali tradition to perform human sacrifices to the goddess well up into the nineteenth century, yet the British saw no problem eradicating the practice-- culture or no. Were they wrong in doing so?

Oh, it's still going on. It isn't called the Kali cult though. I believe it's called capital punishment. And admittedly, the victims are seldom virgins.

That's a bit of a stretch, comparing bullfighting to capital punishment, but, yeah, okay.

What's a "dumber", by the way, Meow?

I didn't compare it to bull fighting. I compared it to the Kali cult. Blood is powerful.

A dumber is a dumb person. I thought it was a common word, as I explained.

Ah, that makes more sense. Still a bit out there, though. A ritualistic sacrifice observed by a fervent following and a few injections witnessed by a small group of those involved bear little in common.

As for the dumbers, you said the you heard the word from an American pen pal, you never said what it meant. It's apparently not common as I've never heard it and I found extremely few webpages that use it. Maybe this friend of yours made it up.

No, a lot of my American friends use it. Maybe it's some group thing? It's obvious what it means so I've never given it much thought, just picked it up.

OK, Kali is extreme. But I do see a parallel between old religious human sacrifices and capital punishment.

Originally posted by Nick
+chips,
I would love to print out what you posted and show it to her. Would you mind?

Go for it Nick - in fact, I would greatly appreciate you doing so.

There were a few things I wanted to quote here, but there was too many and so I'm just going to put everything I want to say in one post.

Here are the issues I would like to raise:

a) Giancarlo, you accept and even condone whatever a country wants to do as long as it falls under the 'tradition' category? As Toefur mentioned, would raping children also be acceptable? How about the mindless slaughter of your parents? Your brothers, sisters, cousins, girlfriend, boyfriend, children? Is that okay? Do not throw around words such as 'arrogant' and 'ignorant' and 'idiot' at me, you know why? Because I think you'll find any sensible person agrees with me; and not just on this issue but on many others where you have chosen to personally insult me and disregard my opinon without any facts at all to back your opinion up; all you have is a mindset that refuses to budge regardless something being entirely wrong - and, in this case, murderous.

b) Rapmaster - For your infomation, I am also very strongly against hunting for sport. So your remarks that "nobody has a problem with it" are not only entirely wrong; they are also uninformed. The reason I chose to raise this issue is because when I did an anti-bullfighting speech last year, many members of the audience did not know the real facts behind what is regarded as a "sport". That's the reason why I now have an anti-bullfighting section on my site; and why I speak against it very strongly publically at any chance I get. You know why? Because I want to make a difference, and this is what I feel most passionate about in regards to animal cruelty.

You can deny it all you like, you can say 'It's tradition, it's okay'. But you know what? If you think it's so OKAY TO HEARTLESSLY SLAUGHTER AN ANIMAL FOR ENTERTAINMENT PURPOSES, YOU volunteer yourself for torture and intense pain. Step into the ring & be prepared to be stabbed, destroyed, drugged, tortured, teased and murdered; because that's what it comes down to.

Last edited:
Back