• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Your Views On Piracy?

Gayowulf

G-d
NLC
What are your views on pirating software?
Is it different to scam microsoft for something like Win. Me
than ripping of a smaller software company for a smaller program?
I know it is all equally illegal but what are your views?

i dont mean piracy on the wee level of giving the cd to your friend to copy i mean making ISO's available on the internet to thousands of people.

I think that full-scale piracy against companies large and small is wrong. However, it would probably be better for the consumer if pirates only ripped off a large company like microsoft. The size of Microsoft cannot even be measured in any known metric.

Sure, the case could be made that the prices of software go up because of piracy, but Microsoft is going to charge a lot anyway, and there are some studies (I couldn't point to any, but I've read about a few in other piracy debates on this board) that show a lot of the people who pirate software wouldn't go out and buy the software if they couldn't pirate it. So in the end, the price markup might not be all that much from what it would be if there was absolutely no piracy.

This might be going into a different direction here, but what about software liscenses that say you can't install that piece of software on more than one computer? Personally, I don't really follow this rule. That's not to say I would go and install adobe photoshop on 40 computers in a lab or something.

An example of this is recently when my parents got my two sisters a worldbook enclyclopedia CD-ROM for mac. We have two macintoshes, one that is really old and one that fairly new. WorldBook wants you to buy another CD if you want to run it on more than one computer, but my parents really feel like spending another 50 bucks. It's kind of a silly rule though. It's like saying you have to have two different video tapes if you want to play it on more than one VCR.

I don't like to pay for simple programs (FTP, IRC, etc.), so for those I often just chose a freeware application that gets the job done. I'd feel really bad about ripping off some hard-working guy just so I could FTP and upload some files to my website.

Originally posted by Rodie
I think that full-scale piracy against companies large and small is wrong. However, it would probably be better for the consumer if pirates only ripped off a large company like microsoft. The size of Microsoft cannot even be measured in any known metric.

Sure, the case could be made that the prices of software go up because of piracy, but Microsoft is going to charge a lot anyway, and there are some studies (I couldn't point to any, but I've read about a few in other piracy debates on this board) that show a lot of the people who pirate software wouldn't go out and buy the software if they couldn't pirate it. So in the end, the price markup might not be all that much from what it would be if there was absolutely no piracy.

This might be going into a different direction here, but what about software liscenses that say you can't install that piece of software on more than one computer? Personally, I don't really follow this rule. That's not to say I would go and install adobe photoshop on 40 computers in a lab or something.

An example of this is recently when my parents got my two sisters a worldbook enclyclopedia CD-ROM for mac. We have two macintoshes, one that is really old and one that fairly new. WorldBook wants you to buy another CD if you want to run it on more than one computer, but my parents really feel like spending another 50 bucks. It's kind of a silly rule though. It's like saying you have to have two different video tapes if you want to play it on more than one VCR.

I don't like to pay for simple programs (FTP, IRC, etc.), so for those I often just chose a freeware application that gets the job done. I'd feel really bad about ripping off some hard-working guy just so I could FTP and upload some files to my website.

exactly my views... nothing much to add =) hehe

Originally posted by Rodie

I always thought that one was stupid too... If I've paid money for something, I should be able to run in on whatever computer I own.

As an individual using a program on your own home computers, I would completely ignore that restriction.

The point of it is to make sure places like businesses, schools, computer cafés, etc. pay for it on each of their computers. There are companies that buy one copy of the software and use it on 500-1,000 computers throughout their business. *This* is what that restriction is trying to prevent.

Here in Sweden, several major companies have been fined for violating this restriction, and checks are still going on.

However, they don't go after individuals.

Using it on more than one computer at home is no different than, say, making a tape/CD backup copy of your favorite old record. As long as it's for personal use...

well, my opinion is to pay for some software, but ALOT and i mean alot of products are over priced.. Mabey i have had a few warez, or so... but anyways

My new computer came with StarOffice 5.1 and it's great... Seems to handle everything that MS Office can. Plus, if you have to go out and buy them, MS Office is about $500.00 and StarOffice is $25.00. :)

Hehe, long live freebies, long live open source freebies, long live linux! ;) had to do it, again!

As for piracy the thing I hate about it, is the following is claimed illegal;

"If I was never going to buy it, why is it illegal to have a copy?"

As long as you buy software etc. that you actually use I personaly don't see what's wrong with pirating a bit of software. If you were never going to buy them in the first place, you are not depriving anyone of their 'rightful income'. Are you?

As well as the fact that's illegal to copy a CD to MP3 on your computer, then destroying the CD is still illegal!

It's not my fault I like to have a large playlist of different music and only have one CD-ROM drive!

I was never going to buy another copy, so what makes it wrong?

Legal Note: Of course Supermoo would never do anything illegal, that would be illegal! And he dosen't approve of illegal activities. At All. Infact this whole text was a pathetic attempt at immitating someone in a fantasy of his. Please do not take any of the advise seriously, excluding legal notification. Thankyou.

warez nice but bad because if your like me and youre too poor to afford good software your also too poor to have a connection fast enough to download before its outdated.;)
but if youre a cheap basterd then i guess you only pay for what you want to ;)
(i know upgrades are smaller but even those take time)

Back