• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Your thoughts on Joomla?

Escalus

I have been researching into some of the more powerful, portable, and customizable CMS' out there.

This seems to have a rediculous amount of support, not to mention it is free.

Do any of the FWS members have any interaction with this product and/or any feedback.

I need to know how I will do using it. I have small to moderate idea of how PHP works, and I would consider myself sufficient in the programming field. I can learn without a problem though. I just need to know what others think before I dive in head first!

Any input is appreciated of course!
= Cheers

I honestly think this should go in programming help... but it's a good CMS for being free. A bit over bloated, but good.

Ahh, thank you. I didn't think about it. I was just generally shooting for people's response. I guess I assumed that went hand in hand. HAHA.

A bit over bloated, but good.

i second that.

also, if you are looking for a non-bloated one and can wait a couple more months, mine will be finished, and will have a range of things it can be used for. from regular sites to even hosting sites, it will be able to handle it. there will be an easy template system implemented, custom menu creation, custom number of menu options, a beautiful gallery option, even a way to sell images through the gallery with a script that is automated for sending the piece of work without you having to do anything. :D so, keep your eye out for MCT-CMS

Last edited:
As a tech support lackey, I would like to tell you that Joomla breaks all the time. We get nearly as many tickets for Joomla as Wordpress. The biggest problem with Joomla is that it creates directories for things a lot, and those directories are owned by the Apache user, and then can't be manipulated or modified by the actual user account. So that becomes a problem if you don't have root access.
Otherwise I have no experience with it.

Im already seeing a problem with that exact deal.

I can't seem to upload a template because Joomla can not create a folder in the directory that already exists for some reason, allowing for me to install the template.

As a tech support lackey, I would like to tell you that Joomla breaks all the time. We get nearly as many tickets for Joomla as Wordpress. The biggest problem with Joomla is that it creates directories for things a lot, and those directories are owned by the Apache user, and then can't be manipulated or modified by the actual user account. So that becomes a problem if you don't have root access.
Otherwise I have no experience with it.

wow, i have never heard of that problem before. thanks for the info.

The biggest problem from a programmers perspective with a platform like joomla is as follows: nothing is truly generic, Joomla is a great cms, easy to use and manipulate with the plugins and custom code available, however, its also massively restricted by the same things. Most people like to think when they are starting out a site, that they have a new idea, or a new way of executing a second ( third, fourth etc ) hand idea, only when they opt for using something like Joomla they are already restricted to ideas that other people have had already. The moment you want to do something new, you hit a brick wall, you're only in luck if you're a programmer, in which case you wouldn't have used a CMS and would have written something purpose built.

I'd say if you have a specific idea, then have something specific built, there's no point making a site out of a thousand other peoples ideas that can almost do you what you want, its always better to have a site written that does exactly what you want.

Im already seeing a problem with that exact deal.

for lots of reasons, shared hosting environments should make use of phpsuexec, this being the least of those reasons ...

Last edited:
Well, if I can find some temporary hosting to do construction of this site that will allow me more access to the database or whatever is required for me to develop this freely without my hands tied, then I guess I will be a-ok.

The Joomla CMS is extremely well written and so far seems easy to use, I am only restricted by my terribly limited knowledge of graphic design, so I may have to reach a hand out in help to see what I can get.

Other than that, I guess I never really considered the idea of creating my own CMS. I am pretty new to programming so it is quiet a feet to accomplish.

actually, once you understand how to submit new queries to the database, pull queries, delete, or edit queries, it is really quite simple to make a cms. you need a strong login check system, which is easy to build, and then a bunch of functions to handle the different types of queries you need. the problem is a lot of people think it is really hard till they start to learn php and mysql, and quickly realize how simple it all is.

Back