• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

You Op and Moz users crims you!

The concerning part is he was 100% serious. I have no doubt that he would put products like Tivo, ReplayTV, and the now non-existent UltimateTV out of business if he could. This goes back pretty far, Jack Valenti the chairman of the MPAA (Motion Picture Association of America) said this about VCR's: "The VCR," said Jack Valenti, then as now the chairman of the Motion Picture Association of America, "is to the American film producer and the American public as the Boston strangler is to a woman home alone." Home video on VHS and DVD now accounts for about a third of Hollywood's revenues.'

I believe he later had to recant that statement but regardless it shows you their stance. That was a quote from 1984 and their viewpoint is still pretty much the same. Unfortunately for the consumer you'll find new high definition TV's will be using DVI and Firewire which is a digital interface. What's this mean? Basically means that they can stop you from making home recordings or time shifting. No big deal you may thing as the current TV picture is fine, well the government is trying to convert everything to digital broadcasts by 2006 I believe the deadline is.

They also tried to strong arm everyone to get their way:
http://www.business2.com/articles/mag/0,1640,39428,FF.html

I won't elaborate on the Hollings bill, as I don't think it has a chance of passing but needless to say they are against home recordings of any kind, period.

It's an interesting issue to watch unfold, as the companies pushing for all of this are the same people who fund the campaigns of the political leaders. What a wonderfully corrupt system we follow. :) It's the best of the worst though so what do you expect.

It'll be interesting to see if someone digs this thread up in a few years to see how everything unfolded. (If it hasn't been purged..)

Now that I've bored you all, I'll let you return to your jokes. :D

Just remember, next time you go to the bathroom during a commercial you may be arrested for theft. That'll teach you not to skip their advertising. ;)

Back