• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

YaBB, Ikonboard or Invisionboard...?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ragingretard

Ok i have come to a bit of a dilema....

I will be getting my new hosting in abt a day or so... and I just found this service - www.toad-one.org - They provide free, adless forum hosting using YaBB service. This has its ups coz it uses less of my bandwidth on the server leaving more for downloads etc..but it also sucks because i cannot install hacks..but bear in mind free and adless as well as good speed...

An ikonboard would also be ideal for me because i can set up cgi without a hitch easily. I have used it before and know my way around...hacks are a little weak tho

Invisionboard - my favourite - except i do not know jack all abt setting up mysql databases and tables and all that...or the phpmyadmin(?) for that matter... i have never successfully installed one (queue for laugh) but i would love an invisionboard on my server which means lots of trial and error. PHP uses less resources but then again i dont have to use any at all (YaBB).. but invision is strong on the hacks..

so..?

What do you folks think?

hey if you want me to help you to install invision board just tell me. but you have to configure the look yourself ;). PM or email me if you want it setup.

Well I've used the stock php version of YaBB and it has alot of features built right into it like putting the most recent posts on your home page, users online, the menu, and displaying news.

I kinda like yabb really, lol but then again it can be annoying.

So hmmm tuff choice.

But which version of YaBB are they offering anyways?

Originally posted by soundcheck
hey if you want me to help you to install invision board just tell me. but you have to configure the look yourself ;). PM or email me if you want it setup.

hmm...that mite be a good idea.

i'll pm you when my host emails me :)

i know a good skin anyway..

i have used invision before just i didn't install it

YaBB is, well, ugh...

Ikonboard and Invisionboard are about equal in features and looks, but since Invisionboard is PHP/MySQL, go for that instead.

i heard cgi can be really b/w hog.. so yeah maybe when i get my host sound check could be so kind as to help me set it up.. maybe giving e step by step instructions with all that mysql stuff..he seems really nice

anyways invision i reckon is a little faster then ikon..but ikon is weaker on the hacks side so invisions tands out for that..

is invisionboard just basically a ikonboard but changed? coz ur rite they look the same

Originally posted by ragingretard
i heard cgi can be really b/w hog.. so yeah maybe when i get my host sound check could be so kind as to help me set it up.. maybe giving e step by step instructions with all that mysql stuff..he seems really nice

anyways invision i reckon is a little faster then ikon..but ikon is weaker on the hacks side so invisions tands out for that..

is invisionboard just basically a ikonboard but changed? coz ur rite they look the same

yabb now has a php/mysql version, http://www.yabb.info

Go definitly for Invision board, its faster, it has more available hacks and more features then yabb SE and ikonboard.:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back