• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

www record change - advice needed

nicky77

hi, i've had the same issue come up a couple of times recently and i'm looking for a bit of advice before i go any further. i'm doing web development on a couple of websites where the companies want to preserve the mail exchange set up with their existing hosts, but wish to move their website to a different hosting platform. i have just set up a VPS which i want to host the websites on, however, i am unsure if i can simply request that the existing providers change the www record to point to my VPS IP address. is this sufficient or do i have to ask the hosts for a nameservers change?

If you have DNS control then you could. Otherwise, just create an alias for the www --> Server IP Address

I am not familiar with this matter but I do believe that if they point their MX records to their old host's mail exchange server then it may allow them to use their email with them (am familiar with this option in cPanel). That should work but I cannot garentee anything with this matter.

Hope this helps!
Skylar

hi, i've had the same issue come up a couple of times recently and i'm looking for a bit of advice before i go any further. i'm doing web development on a couple of websites where the companies want to preserve the mail exchange set up with their existing hosts, but wish to move their website to a different hosting platform. i have just set up a VPS which i want to host the websites on, however, i am unsure if i can simply request that the existing providers change the www record to point to my VPS IP address. is this sufficient or do i have to ask the hosts for a nameservers change?
I think that you shouldn't ask your web hosting company to change anything.
Are you domain name holder?

Back