• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Wow, this is amazing

Schmarvin

Cross Industries
NLC
I'm offering 3 free TLD domains! All of which are prizes in a contest among other prizes. Yet, it appears that no one wants free domains or anything free these days. No one has joined the contest at all. I usually have at least 20 people in the contests. But, not a one joined this time, and I have 3 domains available as prizes.

Anyone find this odd?

What are the domains? Maybe they aren't that great.

I can't imagine anyone these days really wanting free domains (that they didn't pick) seeing as

A) how usually they are of little use to people as they may be irrelavant for the type of website that the person is looking to create and

B) since domains now cost around $9.29 or so to register (as little as $3 or so for certain extensions), they are within the range of affordability for anyone even half serious about creating a website (It's not like the older days when domains cost $70 minimum to register).

So basic economics tells us that with a minimum wage of around $7.50 or so (though you can probably make at least $10 mowing your neighbor's lawn) it is probably less work to just get a job or do an odd job for someone and buy the domain you WANT than create work for someone else online (unless of course the contest takes 5 minutes to enter and doesn't require much effort) to get a domain that they are giving away.

Heck, even if you are a kid and don't have a source of income other than your parents, you could skip lunch at McDonalds twice and get a domain yourself.

Last edited:
Are these domains names preselected? Or are you paying for a new domain for someone?

I think these days, people want everything in the hosting world free, because they know there is free alternatives. To join the comp, is effort, so therefor, not free (same with post2host) so slackasses, and people who want everything for nothing dont bother. Unfortunately, there seems to be more and more of this kinda customer appearing every day :(

Perhaps this has somthing to do with it.

Are these domains names preselected? Or are you paying for a new domain for someone?

I think these days, people want everything in the hosting world free, because they know there is free alternatives. To join the comp, is effort, so therefor, not free (same with post2host) so slackasses, and people who want everything for nothing dont bother. Unfortunately, there seems to be more and more of this kinda customer appearing every day :(

Perhaps this has somthing to do with it.

Agreed. But many of it is to blame with freeware, people get a taste of something free and all they want is more.

E.G. A certain Linux user I know cannot understand why people charge for web hosting when Linux is the OS. I've explained to him that it's not the OS that is being charged for persay, it's what makes a dedicated web server, a dedicated web server. But he just wont listen. Like most people when they become fixated.

lol what a twit.. they are paying for, the internet acces, the power usage, the hardware, the support and everything else...

The domains can be selected by the user. Meaning, they can register which ever one they want. By the way, just under $10 for a domain affordable? Yes, but they used to be under $6 when I started into hosting and such about 2 years ago. I think I was able to buy a domain at $4.60 or something at some times. But, that's just a domain, hosting prices have risen. And yet, people still attempt to offer "unlimited" for free or a cheap price.
On a small person's budget, a website is only a small chance of success.

Anyways, as for the domains, this is the first time people don't want them.

Still, I sent a newsletter to current members.
I can't advertise it on any FWS or WHT. Neither allow forum ads.

Hahahah, I don't want spam/hackers. So, I'd prefer not to post there. Besides, I don't offer unlimited space/bandwidth nor anything close to unlimited for free.

[x10]Brandon;1044836 said:
guru noobs ;)

That's hard they should be already. Is this for your hosting site?

I don't offer hosting anymore. Its just a social-site/community with services. Such as blog hosting. Should I be offering hosting just to get people to come to the forum to take part in the contests?

maybe a little off topic, I have given away lots of free domains in the past myself, but your right nowadays theres little interest`s for them.

The problem I found is if you give away free domains and stay in control of the DNS you get many many request to update the NS info which can be a little annoying.

Well, of course I'd keep control of the DNS/domain for at least a month, but after that, I plan to give them full control. So, whats wrong with that plan?

Too bad I can't post on FWS. Otherwise I'd prolly have hundreds of people signed up. But, Peo made the rules, and I can't post a forum.

Too bad I can't post on FWS. Otherwise I'd prolly have hundreds of people signed up. But, Peo made the rules, and I can't post a forum.

Make a special 'out-of-forum' page that includes all the information and an entry box, this would allow you to 'bypass' that rule and give the domains away.

Back