• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Would this be defrauding the advertiser?

Magic2K2

I just want to know if its okay to put a message that says, "Please use the Goto search box before you leave. It helps support the site."

I think this is okay since I'm providing no material incentive to use the ad, but I want to check with more experienced webmasters.

Magic,

If you were buying traffic from a website on a CPC basis would you want that website to put "please support this website by clicking this link" under your banner?

The way that you've phrased that would indeed be constued by most affiliate managers as generating low-quality incentive traffic. Not only that, but GoTo's terms and conditions expressly prohibit not only incentivized traffic, but forced or suggested searches upon leaving the site.

The following has been extracted from the program's terms of service:
5. Wrongful Acts: Affiliate shall not access the Licensed Material through any of the following: (a) "blind links" (i.e. where users do not know that they will be performing a search), (b) links in which a user is persuaded to perform a search in order to obtain some other benefit, (c) Content Related Links or pre-filled Search Boxes, unless specifically approved by GoTo in writing, (d) searches from or after 404 or other error messages, (e) "exit traffic" (i.e. when the user is presented with search functionality or required to perform a search prior to exiting a web page), (f) searches required of the user in order for the user to do another function, such as leaving a web page or closing a pop-up window, (g) searches performed upon a user hitting the back button or any other element of the browser, (h) searches in pop-up windows, (i) searches from adult sites, (j) searches originating outside of the United States or Canada, (k) the syndication or delivery of the Licensed Material to any site or application not approved in writing by GoTo or to any third party not approved in writing by GoTo, and (l) any other method or mechanism that violates GoTo written policies, as communicated to Affiliate from time to time (including communication through Affiliate-related areas of GoTo's web site).If Affiliate violates any provision of this Section, then GoTo may terminate this Agreement immediately upon notice to Affiliate, and the related terms of Section 10 (Termination) and Section 6 (Consideration) apply.

Since I'm not a GoTo rep, don't take the following as official advice, but I would suggest that if you re-phrased the copy to something along the lines of:
"Done here? Find other great NBA resources using GoTo.com"
this may be appropriate, and may increase your user response rates without contravening the program's terms.

Of course, you would have to email affiliatehelp@goto.com in order to verify whether or not this is accepted, but that's my two cents.

Hope this helps. :)

Hmm, I don't think I'm violating their terms since I'm not providing them with a real incentive to search since they receive nothing. And, I'm certainly not forcing them to search in order to do something else or to leave the page.

I think I will change it to something like what you suggested though just to be safe.

Robert,

Of course I wouldn't want that, but that's not the point. I'm simply asking what I can legally do here.

Here's a tip:

If you wouldn't want to pay for this type of traffic from another webmaster, don't send it to your current advertisers.

Regardless of what you can or can't legally do.

Lawrence

Back