• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

'World Jump Day'

I like how they drew the earth's orbit as a circle...are we in the age of Ptolemy or something?

Well...we should be supoorting them. If all these people want to jump, we should provide them with a giant ledge to plummet off of to really get the whole experience.

Maybe if everyone in China did it.... anyway, you have hundreds of planes a day landing. On touchdown, how many humans would have to jump to equal the same force? How about all the cars and trucks hitting bumps? How about the tides and the moon and sun's gravitational pull? How about the nukes that hit Japan in WWII? How much force did they put against the earth.

Unless everyone on the planet moved to a single land mass and jumped at once, I seriously doubt anything else could make any kind of impact on the earth's rotation.

The tsunami did move the earth's axis by a few inches though, it would take a LOT of people to equal that tsunami.

Who wants to help me organise an EQUAL AND OPPOSITE JUMP to counteract the force from theirs, thusly not leading the world into the void known as space and we all freeze to death...

c'mon, you know you want to...

Create the site, and I shall join. As long as you allow GMT+10 registrations, I just wanna belong to a jumping cult.

Haha, well the jump would be counteracted by the Earth anyway (in the normal force), so it doesn't matter (sides there are better ways of doing exercise) :p

Even then, it wouldn't matter because not all forces are felt instantaneously, the results of forces have a limit too a la the intermolecular forces :p

Last edited:
I just thought about this... the worlds getting lighter.. and most of that mass is coming from america.

What the hell? "Very likely" to do all those things? No, if it did anything at all, which it obviously wouldn't, it would certainly not "solve global warming," since that is a naturally-occuring process that keeps all the heat on earth from not boiling off into space.

I wouldn't really worry about global warming, disregard the hippies! By the time all this stuff is supposed to happen, we will be in our next ice age, we are already overdue.

Dean said:
the worlds getting lighter

How's the world getting light? Nothing is sifting off to space. It loses some weight when we make satellites and send them into space, but the world is much heavier than in it's beginning because of all the meteors getting thru the atmosphere.

Kinda like us needing to conserve water....why? The amount of water on the planet is the same as it was millions of years ago. It recycles. How many glasses of dino-pee have YOU drank in your life :D

Uh, industry uses more water than people use for consumption...that's why my professor just says let the water run and not conserve. :p
(Alas there was no industry in the age of the dinosaurs)

What happened to that filtration product by Dean Kamen? The guy who made the segway products?

Last edited:
tandoc said:
Who wants to help me organise an EQUAL AND OPPOSITE JUMP to counteract the force from theirs, thusly not leading the world into the void known as space and we all freeze to death...

technically, when they push off from the earth, they're applying a force on the earth, and the earth is applying back, and when they land, the earth is applying a force back... sooo... i dont see how they're creating a force that'll put the earth out of orbit. :confused4 internal forces don't do shit.

Mahoro said:
Uh, industry uses more water than people use for consumption...that's why my professor just says let the water run and not conserve. :p
(Alas there was no industry in the age of the dinosaurs)

There's no reason to conserve water, even if it's polluted, it's not untreatable.

tandoc said:

hha i sooo join. b/c thats exactly wat i was thinking. everyone jumps, and if it actually did work, too MANY ppl jump, causing us to loose our orbit and fly out into space and die. sounds like fun. im so in on urs.

Back