• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Woo-hoo! Crosswinds WON THE FIGHT!!!

Cracker

-
NLC
By this, I mean that they've finally been able to un-throttle the download speeds of large files for free sites. You see, their server has recently been hit with a bug, and when Tony Holmes (CW's VP) went to New York to fix it, an accident occured that deleted a lot of members' sites, both free and paid (but not anyone's account), and yes, mine was one of them. However, I am in the process of re-uploading to their servers, due to my files being able to download at their post-2001 speeds - and they are as fast, if not faster than, NBCi was too - they're the old Crosswinds (except for the pop-ups, which are a small price to pay). Before I tested the files I've uploaded so far, I received this e-mail from Tony stating why they were able to remove the limit:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

To : Ryan Mangin <cyberryan26@hotmail.com>
Subject : Re: Deleted Files
Date : Mon, 24 Sep 2001 11:39:05 -0400

On +Sep 24, Ryan Mangin wrote:
> No, I'm not going to flame you for something that was an accident.
> However, after I found out my website was deleted, I decided to just go
> ahead and upload a few of my files (my main website is spread over multiple
> Whateverhosting.com accounts now, something that I've hoped to avoid, but
> since all the other unlimited FWP's are either full of crap or not really
> unlimited, I've been forced to do so, at least until you guys lift the
> stupid download limit) and see if you've lifted it yet. Unfortunately, you
> haven't, it looks like. Do you have any idea when the no limit download
> will be lifted (like before November)? If you don't, then I'm not going to
> continue uploading my stuff until I hear word that you will, as I don't want
> to waste my time re-uploading files that nobody can download.

Actually, one of the GOOD side effects of this entire disaster is that we
can remove the b/w limit on the large files. 99% of the problem was people
dropping 1 or 2 very large files into accounts and then never using the
account again. They link from elsewhere and since we are seeing that their
site is getting him, we do not terminate it.

I can now lift it and your large files will be fast again. (I am going to
do so in the next few minutes - I have a lot of catching up to do as a
result of the trip and problems).

--
Tony Holmes

Senior Systems Architect
Crosswinds Internet Communications Inc.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yes, the free and unlimited internet is restored! I thought it was dead when NBCi died, but I don't think Crosswinds will die anytime soon. I'm glad I never completely lost faith in them. As soon as my site's finished re-uploading, I'll say "Bye bye" to my six accounts on Whateverhosting!

9cy, if you're reading this and you're still considering limiting space or bandwidth on peyros.com, let me tell you one thing: DON'T. It is important to stand your ground and don't back down. Crosswinds did that even when they were stood up to the gates of hell, and they pulled through and became the best FWP ever (for those who don't need all that server side crap and are patient enough to put up with browser upload), once again, from being the worst FWP ever, even if it was only by a bizarre twist of fate.

Do the right thing, stick to peyros.com's free and unlimited plan (note: I didn't say to necessarily keep it ad-free).

Also remember: money isn't everything; only determination is.

Last edited:
I wouldn't consider crosswinds good for anything except storing, but if u don't need any of that fancy crap then I guess they could do. How does it take to get your password?

I don't know how long it takes to get your account set up at Crosswinds now, because I signed up for mine back before they validated new sign-ups.

Why? So you can no longer upload your precious 300 mb video archive? Then again, peyros.com does have all that other stuff - php, ftp, cgi, etc. - so you may have a point there, AlabamaMan. But do you really want to spread your site over 4 or more accounts just to hold up your site?

Last edited:
Docevl, if your CW account hasn't been set up, it could be because you may have supplied bogus information on the sign-up form. Due to abuse by warez masters in the past, CW requires that you now provide true and accurate information on your application form.

Back