• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Wireless network

Nug

Mah Gituar Rox
NLC
I was wondering how I could make laptop (mac) and my PC into a little network?

So I could send files back and forth? Must I make my PC a server? How do I do this?

You create what is called an adhoc network between the two machines, xp or vista on the pc ???

Its very simple

1. Go to network places on your computer.
2. Use setup small office/home network option from left side panel.
3. Follow the steps.

Once its done, do run same setup on other pc. Do connect both before running setup if using lan cards and wire. If on wireless network, enable both wireless lan cards and switch/router.

I dunno about the mac part, but to get sharing working on your xp pc, do this....

Start -> Control Panel -> Network Connections
Right click your active connection, the one your browsing with, and select properties.
Goto the advanced tab, and check the box that starts "Allow other network users...", selecting your wireless card as the home networking connection.

Apply it all and press ok, then go back to network connections and goto your wireless cards properties page, in the "Wireless Networks" bit, press "Add" type a SSID for your network, and I would suggest using authentication of some sort too, remember to check the checkbox that starts "This is a computer-to-computer ( ad hoc ) network".

Now you have a network key and stuff to use on the mac, your pc will have the ip address 192.168.0.1 and hand out ips to other wireless devices in the perimiter no matter what os they use, so long as the authentication is correct ( if there is any )

I was wondering how I could make laptop (mac) and my PC into a little network?

So I could send files back and forth? Must I make my PC a server? How do I do this?

And there is another way: to buy AP (access point) and to make an Infrastructure. With good encription that can't be hacked uptill now. (about WAP - PSK).

And ad-hock network is easy to hack.

So, you can use this mode for you office or home: D-Link DWL-2100AP.

It's simply to create an access point session.

an ad hoc network is no more or less difficult to hack actually, they both transfer the same packets of data in exactly the same way.

there isn't a wireless network that is "safe", you don't need to hack these algorythyms, just intercept the initial transfer of the keys ...... it seems a risk most people are willing to take ......

What kit have you got for the network side Nugi?
Does it have to be wireless?

As Joe says at least use encrypted logon, then setup all machines with a static IP (not a DHCP from the router) then create a net share in Finder and My Computer - one for each machine with they're IP address and any shares you create on any machine will show in the share when opened, including shared printer.

Back