• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Windows XP Professional - Build 2600

roblev

Hello guys,

Just like to tell you Windows XP is coming out soon in 12 days! Yay! Well anyways, I am installing the final version now, it is not going smoothly. What are your views on WinXP, are you gonna use it, and whatever else you wanna post.....

I installed build 2600 about a month ago. No problems installing it, but alot of my hardware wasn't supported at the time. Just have to wait for driver updates.

Oh the experimental version?

I am not going to get Windows XP until the second or special edition comes out... it just ain't worth it. And Win98 is working fine.

I got Windows XP 2600 quite a while ago too.

I installed it and it recognized all of my hardware. But I hated it and installed Windows 2000 again.

Originally posted by Phrozen

No, 2600 is the RTM. It's the same thing you'll see on the store shelves.

But it is not out yet? What the hell is going? Why the hell did people get XP already? It is not out. It must be the Alpha-version, or the nearly completed one.

It's the same way all of the PC companies (i.e. Dell, Comapq, Gateway, etc.) already have it preinstalled on teh pc's now.

Originally posted by Phrozen
It's the same way all of the PC companies (i.e. Dell, Comapq, Gateway, etc.) already have it preinstalled on teh pc's now.

Well, I am going to wait until the 2nd Edition comes out... it is always wise waiting...

I am running xp pro now. (build 2600)
The only hardware issue I had was with a tv wonder ve card, but i found a work-around.

It works ok with all software i tried it with, except Zonealarm.

I think i'm gonna upgrade to WinXp somewhere soon coz i made a program for winxp can work on previous versions, just wonder what does it look like on winxp.

xp final has been out for quite a while on there servers, i know some1 that has been runing the final version of the home edition for over a month now.

yet its not available in stores yet. but in a local brochure they already have computers running xp? i dont no how but

It's because the computer manufacturers get the final from Microsoft before it's released to the stores.

So, people... tell me what's so good about XP.

So far, Win 2000 does the job perfectly for me.

Some one please tell me what new features XP has to offer me, and all it's positives, and negatives?

Is it worth me getting? (Not in the monetary sense, of course ;) )

Well after one night of f***ing around with WinXP this is what happened:

- the installation is messed up, doesn't install properly
- WinXP crashed 2 times within the first hour of installation
- WinXP is too complicated
- WinXP is highly configuarable
- WinXP starts up on my PIII 866 128mb comp in only 10 sec
- WinXP supports CTRL-ALT-DEL lock ONLY in a network enviro
- WinXP sucks

I am gunna write an article on my website about my troubles with WinXP. http://www.techbrink.com.kg I don't know when, but you will see a like on the homepage.

I installed win XP on 2 computers and the installation went smouthly in both cases. Actually my friend that i installed XP for was amazed that all his hardware (some of them quite old) were recocnized by XP and the PC was up and running right after we finished with installation. (When i Installed Me on his PC a year ago it took us several hours to arrange it).
I did a clean install in both cases (reformated the HD) so maybe thats why i got no errors .. i don't know.
Some aplications do crush (rarely), but they never bring the whole system down.
I think this will be further improved once hardware have XP drivers (I am using 2000 drivers for most of them now) and when software is developed having XP in mind.

Personally I am very satisfied so far.

actually, i would be using winxp right now if it did not mess up my IDE port.

Explaination:

Every once in a while, WinXP does some kinda power thingy/data thingy with my HD which causes my HD to develope bad sectors. I know it is not my HD or my MB cuz I just reinstalled Win98SE and it works perfectly. Oh well. I will wait until I can get web updates then I will try again.

Thats strange .. maybe XP is not compatible with your MB or something ...
Except from the 2 computers I installed XP on, I know another guy using XP and he has no problems either. He didn't had a problem even when he was using the RC1 beta version...

Back