• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

windows XP & activation

nitroboy

seducer
NLC
I bought a legal version of windows Xp and installed it on my 2 computers. Now it keeps saying I have to activate my wondows version within a certain time limit, otherwise windows XP won't work anymore. This activation thingy has been done to prevend people copying and using illegal Windows XP versions.
My question is: does someone know if I can activate my windows XP on both computers without any problem?

The activation code is dependant on a number of factors and is going to be different for each computer (pretty sure for each install as well).
If you installed your first copy a while back then just call them up and request a new activation code. If they mention you've already received one tell them you've bought a new computer and sold your old one (and of course you erased the existing copy of XP on that one :) )

You're allowed to do this a few times (the number 3 or 4 pops up in my head) but they keep track so don't just reinstall them every other week cause at one point they're going to make a fuss about it.

As to how legal this is, I *think* it's fine. I'm too lazy to wade through the actual license agreement but I know older ones had a clause stating you could do multiple installs as long as there was no possibility to use both at the same time. (The book principle)
So as long as you're the only one using either of them you should be fine I think.

Update: I checked... what I said above only counts for other software, not for the OS :(

from http://www.microsoft.com/piracy/basics/activation/mpafaq.asp#policies
Office XP may be installed on one PC. The primary user of Office may also install one copy on a laptop computer for their exclusive use.
but
Windows XP may be installed on one PC. There are no secondary use rights (e.g. no "laptop clause") in the Windows XP EULA.

Last edited:
Originally posted by nitroboy
djeez and these 2 computers here are for personal use :rolleyes:

Yes, it is extremely annoying. :smile2: It just wouldn't let you log on if you haven't activated it within 30 days. :sad2: This would be annoying, if say you had to format, you would have to activate it again.

Windows XP Professional doesn't have all those "rules" as the Home Edition Does.

That is why XP Pro is better.

I just found out that Microsoft launched a student program here since september. Students get a free official license for nearly all Microsoft products (present and future) for the duration of their education. The only downside is that you have to download all the CD's yourself and the fee is $40 for 7.5Gb transfer but still a great deal all in all. :)

*kicks school for not bothering to tell me about this*

I don't think Office XP has activation... I hope it doesn't apply on Office 2k and 97 because I installed it 20 times on different computers...

And no problem when I reinstalled 3 times on my old computer.

And don't try to cheat M$. No excuse is gonna let you use the same copy on two computers.

My HP pc did have the activ. pop up..... very weird.....

winxp home sucks.....doesnt include iis, which is needed for asp.net and the .net framework, extremely annouying!!

I have absolutely no idea what to do :(

I installed windows xp on my 2nd computer the day after I installed it on the 1st one...

well in short your options would seem to be (in no particular order):

• use some older copy of Win9x or Win2k you might have laying around
  • wait a month or two or three and then call Micrsoft and tell them you bought a new computer and want to install your XP on the new one - no guarantee here... and it might get complicated later on if you ever have to reinstall one of them
  • use a crack - definitly illegal
  • buy another license for WinXP. depending on where you live Microsoft offers a discount on any additional license beyond the first one (you won't get a cd or anything else but a product key in this case)

(Edited to add that from your profile you'd be eligeable for a student version for WinXP Professional which sets you back 99€)

Last edited:
A fellow computer dude once told me this little trick....
Call em up after installing it on the 2nd computer. Tell them something drastic happened like your processor fried or you got a better motherboard or your motherboard fried or SOMETHING along those lines. Do this for every additional computer you install it on, waiting about a week and a half between each try. If they ask why your stuff fries so much, say you overclock and you try various pieces of hardware. After i think 7 times, your original code will work.

*sigh* Don't you just love to do this to Microsoft? :)

Next up, call their tech support and chat about linux/unix/open-source in general. :p You'll be surprized at what you hear.

Originally posted by Ben
A fellow computer dude once told me this little trick....
Call em up after installing it on the 2nd computer. Tell them something drastic happened like your processor fried or you got a better motherboard or your motherboard fried or SOMETHING along those lines. Do this for every additional computer you install it on, waiting about a week and a half between each try. If they ask why your stuff fries so much, say you overclock and you try various pieces of hardware. After i think 7 times, your original code will work.
Changing motherboard or processor isn't going to require you to get a new authorization key. Your friend's trick won't work.

Basically its dependant on a number of components in your pc. If a significant number of those change within a 120 day period then you'll be ask for a new activation code.

If you have a network card then four other components they check for need to change, an example would be: new network card, new processor, different amount of RAM and new graphics card/CD-rom drive.
If you don't have a network card installed the number increases to 6 so you'd have to replace processor, ram, cd-rom, graphics card and new hard drive (counts for 2) for it to trigger.

You might assume Microsoft is dumb but if someone used what you said it would be plain obvious to them you're just wanting to do an illegal install.
Saying you sold your old computer and bought a new one like I suggested is a simple and valid excuse to call them up and they might ask some questions but ultimatly they will give you a new activation code. And even then it's highly unlikely you'd get away with it every week.

In theory you could install on one computer and then move just enough hardware from it to the other pc to keep both pc's from complaining and you could activate the second pc from the internet but I doubt many people are going to bother with that. :)

(Edited to add that it's possible to see which components changed given the new installation ID and the old one)

Last edited:
Originally posted by Bruce
That's also why it costs twice as much.

That's why when i build my own computer, if ever, i will have my friend at microsoft buy me xp pro and pay her back.

Or maybe i should just buy it now from her and when i'm ready i'll use it.

I think i'll get in contact with her asap :)

I'll tell you all how much it costs, as i can get OfficeXp for 70$ instead of hundreds.

EDIT: Just found out my neighbor across the street works at MS. Hehe, i sent my friend an email and asked her, don't know when she will respond.

I'll ask my neighbor how much it costs next time i see him.

It's so cool having friends that work places to get things :p

Last edited:
Back