• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Windows XP Activation

XeonGX

Hello,
I had to format my PC because I had too much junk on it, didn't bother to clean up the mess (200GB of junk).
I realized that my recovery CDs don't work, 2/9 are corrupted. So did the same thing I did to my laptop 2 weeks ago, I borrowed Windows XP Pro CD from my friend, and when everything is installed, it says that my computer isn't genuine so I go ahead and put the CD key from the COA sticker on the back of my laptop, and TADAAA :angel: , it gets activated.

Now, I installed Windows XP Pro on my PC, and I try to update my CD key form the COA sticker, it doesn't activate......

------------------------------------
More info:
PC: Compaq SR1550NX - Purchased from Futureshop 2 years ago came with Windows XP Home pre-installed and a COA sticker with CD key on it.
Laptop: IBM Thinkpad R52 - Purchased from eBay 3 month ago, came with Windows XP Home pre-installed and a COA sticker with CD key on it.
------------------------------------

I've got 30 days to get a solution, any help???????

:cry2:

If you some sort of proof of purchase, you should be able to clear it out with "Futureshop"

I can't find the receipt, I must have lost it...
The one I have installed on my PC is Windows XP pro, and the CD key is for Home edition, That wasn't the issue on the laptop. So how come one CD key activates and one doesn't..

Call Microsoft (the toll free number should be given somewhere). Tell them the situation. All they want is you to say that this copy of Windows XP is only installed on one computer. They will read you a long (32 digit or so) number that you enter, all is well. I've done it many times.

Just crack it and use WGA crack.
As he lives in the USA that would be illegal. Installing from the sticker key is a bad idea if your product came pre-activeated, as it would have used a pre-approved key instead. Now that you've formatted it, though, you have no ability to recover it. I believe MS intentionally disabled internet activation, but I could be wrong - call them, that should work.

It's illegal in NZ as well, But If you legally brought it then you should be able to crack it.

I live in Canada,
even if I crack it, microsoft wont be able to identify me using IP addresses etc. I think they have a privacy protection.
i think...

anyway
i put in the laptop's key on the desktop and it worked ???????
so im basically using 1 key for two computers at least it works :)

Get a Streamlined version of windows like TinyXP. Uses less RAM, and no activation is required.

Just call Microsoft and tell them you re-installed and they will provide you the customer service activation code. Done it many times.

If you are using the same key for 2 computers -- one of the 2 will break during the genuine authentication process the next time it comes around. It takes your key and then creates a random hash based on System ID's that is how Microsoft differentiates one PC from another. Otherwise, everyone would do just that.

**Before someone tries to correct me. I know some keys work on multiple PC's, even hundreds. Those are enterprise/military keys and meant for large scale automated deployment with companies that use internal audits vs separate key tracking.

Last edited:
**Before someone tries to correct me. I know some keys work on multiple PC's, even hundreds. Those are enterprise/military keys and meant for large scale automated deployment with companies that use internal audits vs separate key tracking.

There is no enterprise/military key. There are VLK keys, and they aren't just for enterprises/military. My Windows key is the same key as my laptop. In fact, if you google my key (which I won't post), you'll see it's used by thousands of other people. This VLK Key is given to Dell customers when they use the Dell Restore CD.

I live in Canada,
Okay fine then it's legal (to crack it, not to use the key on 2 computers though) - but if you crack it you can't connect to Microsoft Update.

I had a serious problem with it last year - recovery discs didn't work, Microsoft tech tried to sell me a new licence and told me I couldn't use my existing key with a hologram cd, then another one told me I could - idiots you never, EVER tell a customer two contradicting statements. I did activate it just fine, but i had to spend hours searching for a way to get the "genuine updates" I wanted cause it's an offline PC. So I ran a little test, and installed Windows XP using a key from the internet on my internet machine (VLK not retail or OEM), and then I connected to their update site and it found my key was "genuine". And it still thinks the key is genuine over a year later. I own XP, and they wouldn't let me download updates for it unless I downloaded from another genuine xp system, well that I don't agree with and still don't - especially since these updates (WMP 11 and the latest Direct X) ran their own offline genuine-check on my system when I went to install them - what's the point of trying to stop someone downloading it if they're going to do the genuine check again when they install anyway???

MS are idiots. They made me waste hours of my time trying to get my updates "legally", and then I find out I can get them so much more easily "illegally" - way to treat genuine customers!
Why is that? Why should you have to waste your time calling Microsoft just because their systems are crappy?
Because then you can't connect to Windows Update.

By the way XeonGX, if you own Windows XP Professional OEM for your desktop, and it came preinstalled this is the Product Key you can legally use that should preserve pre-activation: MVF4D-W774K-MC4VM-QY6XY-R38TB ... it will not work on unauthorised (or modified) systems (in which case you'll have to phone customer support and they'll probably tell you to enter the sticker key, and then give you the activation code). It is provided by Microsoft, for more information go here.
There is no enterprise/military key. There are VLK keys, and they aren't just for enterprises/military.
Just to clarify, they aren't "VLK keys", they're VLK's - Volume Licence Keys.
My Windows key is the same key as my laptop. In fact, if you google my key (which I won't post), you'll see it's used by thousands of other people. This VLK Key is given to Dell customers when they use the Dell Restore CD.
Close, but no. A VLK is different to a pre-activation OEM key. Dell has an OEM key they use on thousands of computers that doesn't require activation - but it will break, and you'll then need to activate using the sticker key if you update/modify your system enough, VLK's never require activation, regardless of what you do with the system. As you mentioned anyone can get a VLK you don't even have to be a business and I think the minimum number of PC's you need to order it for is 4 - so you could go in with 3 other friends to purchase one for your home PC’s if you wanted. A VLK would work on any PC, whereas your pre-activation oem key on your Dell PC will only work on approved Dell systems.

The above key I mentioned (which is provided by microsoft) can be used on Dell systems with an OEM copy of XP pro - or Acer, or any other system to override the one on your system, and it'll work equally as well as long as your system is still a true oem system. Microsoft doesn't provide a pre-activation oem key for XP Home OEM on their site, though I can't imagine why not as they provide the above mentioned XP Pro one.

Last edited:
Okay fine then it's legal (to crack it, not to use the key on 2 computers though) - but if you crack it you can't connect to Microsoft Update.

I had a serious problem with it last year - recovery discs didn't work, Microsoft tech tried to sell me a new licence and told me I couldn't use my existing key with a hologram cd, then another one told me I could - idiots you never, EVER tell a customer two contradicting statements. I did activate it just fine, but i had to spend hours searching for a way to get the "genuine updates" I wanted cause it's an offline PC. So I ran a little test, and installed Windows XP using a key from the internet on my internet machine (VLK not retail or OEM), and then I connected to their update site and it found my key was "genuine". And it still thinks the key is genuine over a year later. I own XP, and they wouldn't let me download updates for it unless I downloaded from another genuine xp system, well that I don't agree with and still don't - especially since these updates (WMP 11 and the latest Direct X) ran their own offline genuine-check on my system when I went to install them - what's the point of trying to stop someone downloading it if they're going to do the genuine check again when they install anyway???

MS are idiots. They made me waste hours of my time trying to get my updates "legally", and then I find out I can get them so much more easily "illegally" - way to treat genuine customers!Because then you can't connect to Windows Update.

By the way XeonGX, if you own Windows XP Professional OEM for your desktop, and it came preinstalled this is the Product Key you can legally use that should preserve pre-activation: MVF4D-W774K-MC4VM-QY6XY-R38TB ... it will not work on unauthorised (or modified) systems (in which case you'll have to phone customer support and they'll probably tell you to enter the sticker key, and then give you the activation code). It is provided by Microsoft, for more information go here.Just to clarify, they aren't "VLK keys", they're VLK's - Volume Licence Keys.Close, but no. A VLK is different to a pre-activation OEM key. Dell has an OEM key they use on thousands of computers that doesn't require activation - but it will break, and you'll then need to activate using the sticker key if you update/modify your system enough, VLK's never require activation, regardless of what you do with the system. As you mentioned anyone can get a VLK you don't even have to be a business and I think the minimum number of PC's you need to order it for is 4 - so you could go in with 3 other friends to purchase one for your home PC’s if you wanted. A VLK would work on any PC, whereas your pre-activation oem key on your Dell PC will only work on approved Dell systems.

The above key I mentioned (which is provided by microsoft) can be used on Dell systems with an OEM copy of XP pro - or Acer, or any other system to override the one on your system, and it'll work equally as well as long as your system is still a true oem system. Microsoft doesn't provide a pre-activation oem key for XP Home OEM on their site, though I can't imagine why not as they provide the above mentioned XP Pro one.

Exactly what I meant -- but much better explanation :) +rep

No probs. There's an excellent forum for all things related to Windows Installations called MSFN, there are several guides which explain how to update your installation CD among other great resources.

Back