• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Windows server license!

Sitebee

UFO Hunter
NLC
I've 99.99% been using Unix based servers, for the last 8 years. I'm interested in broadening my scope with trying out a Windows server license. Where would I start and which Windows server version would techys recommended? Any advice?

Sent from my ME173X using Tapatalk

I think with Windows Server 2008 you can run it without a key for 30 days as an eval, but I believe Server 2012 requires a key upon installation. Create a sandbox and play with it for a while before you put it into production.

Cheers I'll have a look into that. What hosting panel would you recommend?

Sent from my ME173X using Tapatalk

On a windows box? I don't know. Some time ago, I used Plesk, but I don't recommend them any longer because of their piss poor software and lack of support. I don't know what all is available for Windows these days.

We have several Plesk servers and to be honest, sometimes it's such a nightmare to deal with the Plesk issues. But once you start using it, you get used to with it. We also use WebsitePanel (previously known as DotNetPanel). It has the ability to provisioning Hyper-V virtual machine, but there is also one problem, Hyper-V module of Website Panel is not that much better, where Plesk is quite handy.

I’ve also heard a lot recommendation for Zpanelcp, but also seen many comments that suggest it is not that much secure. Although, we haven’t tested it yet, so I think you can consider this option as well. And if I am not mistaken it is available as free.

Also consider following two Windows control panels.

• cPanel Encompass
• H-Sphere

^ What are you talking about? This thread is about Windows servers and what hosting panels to use...

Plesk is a piece of crap. I used them happily for years and years before finally taking the plunge and leaving. Their support was horrible and after releasing the most horribly buggy version of Plesk 9 back around 2008, I couldn't walk away fast enough. They lost my business and their support forums are also another joke, deleting any comments from people who are pissed off, or reflect negatively on their products in any way. Just horrible.

When it comes to hosting control panel for Linux, we always see a long list of options. Usually, people pick cPanel, but there are many other control panels like DirectAdmin, Webmin, etc… considered as good alternatives, but this not the case when it comes to the selection of control panel for Windows server, either you have to manage server without control panel or deal with the options available with it.

I agree with the statement that Plesk is not up to the mark, but as there are very limited options available. So I think dealing with Plesk to be somehow less annoying as compare to other options, but this just from my personal point view.

Note: Webmin is also compatible for Windows, at least the information available on their website suggest it. Some people also suggest DirectAdmin for Windows, but I've no idea whether it works on Windows servers or not.

Back