• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Wildcard DNS.

Dan

Bullah
NLC
Ok.
I have a reseller who has a client who wants to set up Wildcard DNS to create Dynamic Subdomains for a free forum service he wants to start. I have never heard of this and need some guidance.

1. Is this actually a safe thing for other users on the server?
2. How do I set it up?

Hope ya can throw some light on this.

Slán

Create a Cname(alias) record like *.domain.com and then sub.domain.com will alias to the site :).

Craig said:
Create a Cname(alias) record like *.domain.com and then sub.domain.com will alias to the site :).

Ok so like this:

If his domain is forumsite.com
I go to his DNS Zones and Edit, adding *.forumsite.com and then sub.forumsite.com

That correct?
If so, do I place these in A or where?

There's a .htaccess file that allows you to create dynamic subdomains without creating DNS Zones. I remember it was implemented in a Blog Software I once purshased

mr.d1n1 said:
There's a .htaccess file that allows you to create dynamic subdomains without creating DNS Zones. I remember it was implemented in a Blog Software I once purshased

Do you have any idea how this is done though?

mr.d1n1 said:

Thats not possible....you can create dynamic subdomain using a .htaccess file, but for this to work you need to add the wildcard A entries. Heres how it would be done in WHM... (its almost the same in most other control panels)

http://img60.imageshack.us/img60/7518/picture1sx8.png

If you need any help with this, just let me know! ;)

Last edited:
Note that you may still have to configure Apache to direct those subdomains to that user's vhost once the wildcard DNS is set up.

Back