• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Wierd files and folder appearing when a folder is created/copied

p|nK^bEe

I encounter this recently in my external hard disk drive. When I create a new folder or copy it, wierd files/folders appeared.

(Click thumbnails for screenshot)

I tried deleting them, but it says:

What are those files/folders? How do I get rid of them?

HAve you done a virus scan recently?

I've never seen anything like this before, but I highly doubt Windows is causing that.

i am recommending a system restore
restore your system to a point before the problem was appearing

if there wasnt any earlier points try virus scan like Bruce said

someone else is having issues with Voodoo Magic and windows at the moment aswell, must be going around....

It looks like you copy/pasted a website's HTML into a save dialog box almost.

Try rebooting to get rid of the strange folder names. If that doesn't work, try booting up in linux and deleting them (I'm not sure if windows can handle those names, or NTFS for that matter).

Whatever you did, try not to do it again. And if you recently installed something, uninstall it.

got the same issue with a memory stick.
mine sorted itself out, it was an issue with the drivers being used and the software i was using.
Reinstall drivers and software for this hd, check the manufacturers site for new software.
fixed my issues.
if this fails, reformat:)

wow man I have seen alot of stuff in my day and fixed a good 6-7k computers and i have never heard or saw this issue

do the normal.

virus scan
spyware check
system restore
panic
format/reinstall

Back