• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Why or Why Not Start A Hosting Company?

RandyC

Yes, I am thinking about starting a hosting company, but I have been reading some things around here about why or why not but its getting hard to really decide, so I am looking for some reasons Why i should and Why I shouldn't. I am looking to start one not for making money as money is not an issue but I am looking to provide good support, and a good service at an affordable price.

Best Regards,
Randy Cram

i did my own for my own intrests, and expereince. while i learn, to get my Cisco Qualification. You should make a hosting company, if you don't have much experience i suggest you make it small and somewhat private. (but not compromising profit, even if your goal isn't to make money, it still helps)

you could always just become a partner, help out on the support team, if thats your real passion.

Don't... It costs money every month, for a long time, and the customers usually don't appreciate what you're doing. When you actually think about it... If you spend an hour working on a problem for a customer that's paying you $5 per month... How valuable is your time really?

However, If you enjoy what you do, and you have fun and enjoy fixing problems that people seem to get out of no-where, its great.

I will certainly tell you that

1)Its a lot of work. If you think you already know this, let me tell you, whatever you are thinking, its more than that.

2)Its such a competitive field, good luck finding many paid clients. Going into it with the idea of not making money, like you said, is good because you probably won't make much, if any.

If you are running something like web design company and want provide web hosting service for your customers - reseller web hosting package is an option for you. If that will be your major work, luke Matt said - be ready to work over.

IMO, it depends on what kind of person you are.
If you the kind to get easily annoyed and give up when theres major problems, then you will get nowhere fast.

Lets make a quick list or for and against..

FOR:
Good to learn things about the internet and the way everything works.
Can help improve you communication skills.
If sucessful, you maybe will actually make some cash.

AGAINST:
Too many hosts, with too good to be true offers makes it hard to get business. Even if they are "fly by nighters" when one dies, theres always another there to pickup the slack.
The ammount of morons who will attempt to scam you or just make free accounts to spam or host illegal sites is astounding. For every 1 legit customer i have, theres probly 10 or more fake accounts added, mostly registered from China and Veitnam.
There will be ALOT of problems, so if you cant handel stress, you may want to think 2x about doing it.
It will take alot of your time.
It will cost you more than you expect.
If you are "just a learner" then you will have trouble providing support. Especially to people who already know more than you.

As everyone else has said to you. Its a very compedative industry. Just take a look at some of the free plans people are offering. Think you can compete?

Your best bet is to target people who dont know much about the internet or hosting, especially if you are involved in Web Site design also.
IE. Businesses in your local area.

Hope my newbie ramblings are some help.
Good luck with your business dude :D

Cheers
Fenix.

IDK, My frist one failed, this ones going well, I think the first one was a good learning time but thats it, this ones starting to really get going now.
NFI, I just do this one as a hobby type thing and expect little in return...
I think thats the best way to be with a host. to start out.
If you get making money ect then it turns in to a company.

If you want to, Id say go for it. Were just trying to let you know that hosting is a cut-throat industry.
I wish you good luck ;)

That's really weird to read that you should start a company to learn things, I thought that you start having learnt some stuff.

Newstant: No matter how much you know, you ahould always be abel to keep an open mind and learn new things.

Lets keep this simple guys. Just a few points.

Start it if you have:

* A lot of money (like enough to pay $100 or more or less per year)
* Got some tech skills
* Got a few support people who really knows what they're doing
* If you know that you won't shut it down after a few months because you can't afford it, not interested anymore, can't run it or don't have time.

on my behalf i spent nearly a good year before i actually started anything. looking around for a good hoster, good prices etc. but soon enough, i plan on expanding. go into the city centre, offer web design and programming services, with hosting included. would be another year before i do that though, don't want to jump ahead of myself and fall flat on my face.

afterall, i don't care if i make major profit, just enough to "cover the costs" and pay the odd bill here (even if it is just the internet bill), just as long as i learn something along the way, meet new people, the usual, then i'd be happy to live another day in the hosting industry.:idea:

I believe that will be imposiible to just starting company, unless you find some good investors ;)

Well you don't have to hire people. If you have a few friends then you could ask them to help you out or pay them something. Or you could go into a partnership with them.

I started from absolutely nothing online. I'm in a very happy position after 4 years :) Stick to your guns and don't give up.

I think that it is very dangerous to invest lots of money to web hosting business, because of crazy oversold competitors. Which entice your potential customers. I think that it is dangerous.

It is hard to believe that you don't want to start it for money but for good customer service. Businesses want to provide good customer service to retain customers to get more profit.

Back