• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Why is everyone against posting on forums in exchange for free webspace?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Toefur

Two Sheds
NLC
The title says it all.

What is so god damned wrong, about that?

Most people here seem to act like asking that people post on a forum in return for their free hosting is one of the greatest crimes that can be committed on the internet.

Please, give me a logical, sensible reason as to why it is so bad?

I just don't understand you people; you want this, you want that, you want the god damned mother ----ing world for free, and with no effort on your own part.

Isn't it perfectly reasonable to ask for something in exchange?

Posting on a forum a few times is not really all that hard!

Originally posted by Toefur
The title says it all.

What is so god damned wrong, about that?

Most people here seem to act like asking that people post on a forum in return for their free hosting is one of the greatest crimes that can be committed on the internet.

Please, give me a logical, sensible reason as to why it is so bad?

I just don't understand you people; you want this, you want that, you want the god damned mother ----ing world for free, and with no effort on your own part.

Isn't it perfectly reasonable to ask for something in exchange?

Posting on a forum a few times is not really all that hard!

Because I'm a buzy man,let's say that I will have 5 site's soon,If those site's would be hosted on hosts that require posting,well...

I would rather have a banner on my site then having to post all the time on a forum where I don't care about.Also I think that hosts who do this arn't very smart,let's say that a host require 60 posts to get some megs,well people would just post to get their postcount up.It would make the kwality of the posts very low.(they would post smilies ect.).

Good point Belgiumdude... And why the hell would people want to go to a host that you can only get free space from em if you do something for them?.... I mean, how many people do you see like that?

what do the hosts get out of the posting?
Wouldn't they make more money with an ad?

Posting on forums builds a community. There are ads on the forum pages, so the host gets some money back for all the free hosting they are giving you.

What pisses me off is people who "need" stuff. I need free hosting with 50 MB, 10 GB B/w, PHP, MySQL, FTP, CGI/Perl, and NO ADS!!!!!. I NEED a free domain. I NEED everything. I NEED a life.

Re: Re: Re: Why is everyone against posting on forums in exchange for free webspace?

Originally posted by Muttle.com

Too busy to post on forums? :)

Yeah but I like this forum,that's why I spend alod of time on this forum,most things about webdezign,scripting lang. ect,I learned here.That's why I'm not really wasting my time here.Also this improves my english :classic2:

We're making a list of hosts that force you to post on their forums before an account is made. Usually misconfigured, you may signup only to be denied even though you've posted the required amount (1-20). All this does is fustrate the member and add spam to our mailboxes.

Hopefully, we can make this a sticky both here at FWS and other major free host search communities.

If you're running a host such as this, I strongly suggest you re-think your methods. You will soon go the way of the doe doe bird. :cool:

I don't see a problem with making people post in a forum (one time or 10 posts a week). If you have so many sites and don't have time to post, then get PAID host that allows more then 1 domain etc. Otherwise post 50 times in your hosts forum.

As to zoobie, I use a form for one reason. To keep it all public, if one person is denied, then somebody else with the same content fo being denied will read it and won't even bother to apply. It also makes it all easy to manage. It would be very hard to do it all via email as tons of messages would get lost. Kind of hard to miss a post in a forum. :rolleyes:

I won't even consider allowing people just to activate an account unless I like the contact of there site.

I strongly suggest you re-think your methods if your host and don't do the same, if your only a user, then you can't really comment on this now can you.

Doe doe bird?? Hmm, well.. By making people post, most of the time only legit people will post as abusers don't want to waste time (i.e. register, get told off etc).

I haven't really seen many good hosting deals that require you to post which ones are you people talking about??

The only one i've seen is www.hey.nu which is good.......are there some really good hosts that I'm missing out on?

I nearly have no money to surf the Internet. I'm poor and have little time to come .

But I'm not against posting on forums in exchange for free webspace , because I think this free webspace will be better. Not easy to down.

Because people have to read.. then post. Why do this if there are free hosting companies that require you to do nothing?

What if I have nothing to say in the forum. If you have this requirement, people will post rubbish just to make you happy and the quality of your forum will go downhill, then nobody posts anymore and you can kiss your business bye bye.

Yes.. people these days want to do absolutely nothing to get something for free. It's sad but it's real.

Originally posted by Karim
Because people have to read.. then post. Why do this if there are free hosting companies that require you to do nothing?

What if I have nothing to say in the forum. If you have this requirement, people will post rubbish just to make you happy and the quality of your forum will go downhill, then nobody posts anymore and you can kiss your business bye bye.

Yes.. people these days want to do absolutely nothing to get something for free. It's sad but it's real.

Ugg no, the hosts that make you post in the forums (at times) give you MORE then what geocities or another crappy host do.

The people that post "rubbish" have their posts deleted, and if the pproblem is large, his/her account removed and IP banned on the forum. So when you think of you, by you trying to mess the host up, just make yourself look like a jack --- and got banned. All the other users will post "ahahaha what a tard" "LOL sucker" etc etc and have the good hosting when your stuck with a host that makes you do less, yet offers far less too.

ADD: Get a few Jan's and everything will be fine. :)

Originally posted by Hobo
I haven't really seen many good hosting deals that require you to post which ones are you people talking about??

The only one i've seen is www.hey.nu which is good.......are there some really good hosts that I'm missing out on?

www.amzweb.net. They require you to post before you can get hosting. The more you post, the more features you get.

I'm @ amzweb.net now and being forced to post. Problem is, I have nothing to say since very little topics exist. I posted in the "Sports" forum and simply said "The Colorado Rockies will lose" because, like I said, there's nothing to post about. Now I'm wondering if my posts will be deleted....flock it. These kinds of hosts suck. Why would they make $ from a lame forum? ogre2

Here are some reasons why I don't like the hosts that make you post. I am by no means opposed to posting, but it does not mean that I cannot dislike it.

1. Unlike advertising, hosts cannot support themselves with a message board. As for putting banners on the message board? Well, you're still getting less exposure, and you won't be making much more money. And adding pop-ups? Having pop-ups while you're trying to navigate a message board is extremely frustrating, even more frustrating than having pop-ups while you're trying to navigate a website. And again, you're getting less exposure.

2. Host survival. If I go through all that hard work to make 500 posts, you would expect that I would like those posts to stay. But after that host goes under (as with many free hosts), can I really stand to see all of those posts gone? All that hard work for nothing (and generally on subjects for which I have no interest, as I will explain next).

3. Most importantly, I have yet to see a support forum that is not incredibly lame. They try to cover all topics to keep people's interest, but in reality, they just become like one of those boring, amateur boards that try to cover everything. And they end up with more spam (generally more secretive than you think) than most other boards. It's simply no fun posting on these boards.

That's why I IM'ed you about these kind of hosts. We desperately need a 'sticky' detailing just what you're in for...forced posting, boring forums, spam, and a big waste of time when they go down anyway. Why bother when there's free hosts without all that?

You'll be sorry with this kind of host...definitely NOT RECOMMENDED :rolleyes:

I don't see a problem with making people post in a forum (one time or 10 posts a week). If you have so many sites and don't have time to post, then get PAID host that allows more then 1 domain etc. Otherwise post 50 times in your hosts forum.

Listen there are anof good free hosts out there that don't forse you to post ,so I havn't got any problem,I'm just NOT going to host my site on a webhost that require posting.

Originally posted by conkermaniac
Host survival. If I go through all that hard work to make 500 posts, you would expect that I would like those posts to stay. But after that host goes under (as with many free hosts), can I really stand to see all of those posts gone? All that hard work for nothing (and generally on subjects for which I have no interest, as I will explain next).

Yes, that's what I was thinking too. Never paying for hosting means drifting from one free host to the next due to the other host either going down or limiting features so as to exclude your site.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back