• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Why?? hostes these days so Demanding

kb3mol

Why are people so demanding in there hosting requests? Like: I MUST HAVE CPANEL, nothin else, WHO theses days has heard of FTP? :p, like what the heck would a begining site need 3 GB space and 100 GB bandwidth, tell me what you think?

People dont know what they want, but they assume it's big. cPanel is something they know is dependable by everyone else, that's why they ask for it. FTP si still the way to upload files, but cPanel does have it's own upload tool, so maybe more people are using that.

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure most people use FTP to upload files.

The thing with Cpanel is that it's easy to use to manage domains, email, mysql, etc.

With shared hosting, you need a control panel. There's no 2 ways about it.

Most people don't realize that a good site takes time, therefore when they realize they're not going to use that initial 5 GB webspace and 50 GB bandwidth, they learn their lesson.

Most just think "I'm going to make a site and it will be SUERP DUSPER POPUPLAR!!!!~!!1 So, I'm going to need 100gb of space with 1 terabyte of bandwidth. In fact, I'll tell the host that if he gives me this space, I'll give him half of whatever I make and he'll be rich too!"

I, myself, prefer cpanel because it's simple.

Johnson (LG) said:
Most just think "I'm going to make a site and it will be SUERP DUSPER POPUPLAR!!!!~!!1 So, I'm going to need 100gb of space with 1 terabyte of bandwidth. In fact, I'll tell the host that if he gives me this space, I'll give him half of whatever I make and he'll be rich too!"

I, myself, prefer cpanel because it's simple.
indeed it is, cPanel is very easy to navigate and find what you need. I prefer it over the others, hands down.

I don't choose a host by the control panel. I choose them after months of observation. I rarely use a control panel anyway, I upload all my stuff when I change host (via FTP) and that's about it. I have been with my current host for 4 months now and I "played" with the control panel (cPanel) for a few hours to see what everyone was raving about and haven't used it since.

it also depends on the type of site you're running. i personally don't think cpanel or any panel is really necessary and, in fact, may be a security risk.

cpanel has the one advantage if you're trying to sell hosting to others but for administration of one's own servers there really is no need, in my opinion. And unless you have quite a few servers to put cpanel, you should be prepared to pay a decent amount. best i've seen through resellers is is 35/month/server--going all the way up to 75/server

I was thinking why people like cpanel so much... I think its because of Fantastico, because all other features + more you can find in plesk, da etc.

Ako said:
I was thinking why people like cpanel so much... I think its because of Fantastico, because all other features + more you can find in plesk, da etc.

Its not because of Fantasico its cause of the GUI, just same reason why people like to use windows xp instead of mandrake or other linux distros :bkick:

Maybe its because 99% of people looking for hosting have never heard of hosting without cPanel, they are beginning to think that a host without cPanel is a bad host!

back in the days you were lucky to find 20mb of space and 2gigs of bandwith
oh.. how i loved back in the days

Yellowmc said:
Maybe its because 99% of people looking for hosting have never heard of hosting without cPanel, they are beginning to think that a host without cPanel is a bad host!

Its just the opposite , most newbies looking for hosting dont know what cpanel is only after few months they get to know that there exists a cpanel.And as more and more people are coming into web building buisness most end up getting something without cpanel cause they are cheap.

cPanel is heading down the same road as Microsoft, and even tho it's not the best there is out there, and theres some free alternatives, people still use cPanel (Just like Microsoft Programs :p)

Yes, I agree, that newbies, that have never heard had hosting before, look at other peoples requests, and see that they want Cpanel, and they need 3 GB space and 500 Gb of bandwidth and the request that trying to fit in, what they dont understand is giving out all the space can hurt a host, especially if it is a reseller. You don't need 3 GB of space to run, a forum, duh come on people, you can host a forum, a site, a portal and about 10 or more images on 100-150 mb, if you are just starting out, 300 MB bandwidth will do you good, unless your site is like 300 MB, and I don't think I have ever seen one of those yet :p, so thats all from me for now.

Kris

The problem is that hosts get away with advertising packages like 3Gb space & 500Gb bandwidth for $1/month or even free knowing that they could never actually deliver it :(

Newbies come along expecting packages of that size to be the norm, then someone offers 4Gb & 500Gb and we all move up a level again.

Yes, I agree, how can someone offer package, for 3 GB of space when they only have 1-2 gigs of space? Wich is the norm for some begining resellers theses days.

Kris

And some hosts have 600gb of space RAIDed across 200gb drives and don't bother to advertise insane packages without overselling because it's simply not worth the argument.

But at the same time if I refuse to put over 700 websites on one box and it's only summing up to be 100gb space and 1tb of bandwidth its kind of like throwing money away right?

Back