• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Why have you decided run dedi?

Dotcom

Hello
It is wondering for me. Why have you decided run dedicated server? For what needs?

if you are a serious host, you will eventually be forced to run a dedi server, the main advantage lies in complete control of everything, and you have your own box so you cant get done for using your co-customers bandwidth and resources and so on , it just makes more sense. :)

Like AMC said, if your serious you will be forced to. You need to be independent, the fact that the features between a WHM Root/User is quite alot. If you know what i'm on about anyway. I'm too stupid this morning.

For whatever reason, your own server is yours, others can't (outwith cracking/hacking) effect it without your permission if admin'd right.

in my opinion if you are serious about webhosting you will get a dedicated server to begin with. If you are selling to a few people/friends/family/design clients then a reseller account is just fine.

Dedicated allows you complete control over the machine and all items on the machine. Allows room for expansion, and you don't have to worry about the company bailing out on you at the last minute (if you choose a good ded host)

it's a lot more expensive than a reseller account but if you are DEAD SERIOUS about the business then you must invest and have the resources to do it!

I think reseller accounts are a great way for hosts that are just starting out to get into the industry. It allows them to use only what they need and build slowly until they can afford their own server.

But yes, dedis are a must for a serious webhost :)

The only other reason you might need a dedi is if you're running a very large volume website which uses a lot of resources, if you're running some sort of game or web application, or you use it for testing purposes.

dedis have advantages and disadvantages to resellers.
for the new host a dedi can be quite intimidating, start on a reseller and get to grips with cpanel, and learn how to promote, handle clients and balance the books.
Once your comfortable, move up to a dedi, i suggest going managed at first as they can sort all your security:D
Once your comfortable ditch the management, its not cheap.

I'm going dedi as I need the root access and the power.

Well the main fact is price.

To a developed host that knows how to manage a dedicated server, getting one is cheaper than getting a reseller account. Therefore the host can make more profit.

Also; with a reseller account, you are relying on someone else to keep your hosting active, with a dedicated server - you are not.

Yeah Thats true, I started A thread recently Talking about whether or not I could start a host from a high end Vps, I Dont have the budget for a dedi, but then again my host is just going to be a small free/shared thing with not very many clients, unless i decide i can afford to upgrade to a dedi.

Having had VERY bad experiences with one of my previous projects i am now of the opinion that resellers are a no no altogether, it is better to get a budget dedi or middle end VPS, you need the control, otherwise you cant makeyour clients ANY promises.

Plus hosting-shack is right, If you run the numbers ( and believe me i have ) it makes more financial sense to go with your own machine ( or at least part of one ).

Dont let dedi daunt you, i let it daunt me, but then decided that if i got there i would go managed then talk to someone with the experience to do it myself. :):beer:

Running dedicated servers and not outsourcing server management is a must for every host, it gives you freedom and you can controll support, the main commodity in hosting business.

I think you first of all have to had good income to run dedi. If you are successful guy, and you have big projects you should run dedi.

I think you first of all have to had good income to run dedi. If you are successful guy, and you have big projects you should run dedi.
actually you don't need much money for dedicated server, prices have lowered a lot over the years, so now you can get rather good server for even below $100.

I am no host and I generally use less than 50 GB of bandwidth per month, but I run a server because of its stability. Over then past few... well, actually more than a few years I have tried many resellers from the budget ones (like the ones here) to a lot more expensive hosts, but I have never really found a stable reseller, so about half year ago I decided to go dedicated and I am more than pleased. I know I could save 5 to 10 or even more times by using reseller, but I need my sites to be accessible all the time, so dedicated server is the only way.

Because I have too much money and I need to use it for something.

But seriously, its because I use mySQL intensive scripts and I need to make sure I don't get kicked out for "over-usage of resources."

but I need my sites to be accessible all the time, so dedicated server is the only way.
Well,
Any busy site needs its own server or atleast a VPS
People these days dont think that tho..
alot of it is becuse of the oversellers offering 200GB space and 2TB bandwidth
they just dont consider the CPU usage it would take to use such bandwidth
Witch is the catch after all ;)

Anyway, yeah alot of people just dont understand that a busy site needs its own server,
Shared hosting is a way to enable people to start a website at a cheaper cost nothing more!

Anyway I just posting to say I agree with you :)

Back