• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Why don't you pay for hosting?

Why don't you pay for a hosting account?

• Can't afford paid hosting

Votes: 13 24.1%
  • Doesn't have a credit card

Votes: 23 42.6%
  • Don't WANT to pay

Votes: 15 27.8%
  • Content with what free hosts offer

Votes: 3 5.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

biosphere

I was just wondering:

Most people here seems to be quite specific about what they want - PHP/Perl/CGI/SSI/FTP etc., but still it seems like no one is willing/able to pay a dime for these demands.

I just wondered WHY, since you can get it all for $5/month or less.

Last edited:
i also think be expect too much from a free host and then complain if they have to display a banner or pop up
i have recently moved to paid hosting

I don't care enough about my sites, whether they are online or not, to pay for them. If I find something worthwhile to pay for, then I will. It's not a question of money/creditcard/features.

can't afford it. my site is personal anyways, so it's not like i'm making money to cover the hosting costs, even if it's just a couple bucks a month. see, overall i have about $25 and no job. so it's not worth it for me to pay. besides, the only thing i need that is hard to find free is php/mysql for a phpbb2. not like i'm asking for the whole works. ;)

Love your page byrdgirl13!

How much space/bandwidth are you using at the moment? And what kind of extras do you want?

biosphere

well... I have the money to pay, but:

cyberspace website just isn't a big thing enough for me to pay for it.

i'd love to pay.. but im not committed to my site....
and i'm so busy with school... and a whole bunch of games! and tv...

Originally posted by allanh
well... I have the money to pay, but:

cyberspace website just isn't a big thing enough for me to pay for it.

Same here...Must be the first time we've agreed. :)

I have a pretty decent job, where I work very little, and I get paid a decent sum (enough to pay for about 15 sites a year each with a $10 domain name and $40/year hosting. But then again, I would be considered FAR underpaid for my job, if I was in the US. :)

Last edited:
I'm not paying for my website now. Few years ago I paid about 50 € to my ISP, they provide webspace, Unix shell, e-mail and Internet connection at least to year 2004.

Originally posted by Lil_Rob
i also think be expect too much from a free host and then complain if they have to display a banner or pop up
i have recently moved to paid hosting
All the people out there that keep bagging free hosts, stop please. I would like to see you shell out your money, run and manage a server, setup a server, setup all the things on the server through telnet, and then offer people everything that you want including no ads. It is very hard to manage a server, have any of you tried. And a lot of free hosts run at a loss and are not making any money from what they are offering. So to all you people you bag a free host like they dont have FTP, they have ads, no PHP, blah blah blah put your money where your mouth is and start a host offering everything that you want, beleive me it is hard to do.

Personally I think people are just cheap... I mean really cheap. :D

Though, I think another reason, as some said above, their site is either not important enough or they are not that commited to it and see no need to get pay hosting. I mean I think it's logical to say that if you were serious about your site, you would move on to pay hosting.

About people wanting all these features and things... I think many people are experimenting and they want to get their hands on all the goodies as much as they can out of a host. :bandit2:

As for me, I would pay -- to only get rid of the ads. Because I am pretty satisfied of what free hosts offer, I just don't like ads hehe.
But you know what? I don't think I've seen a host where there's an option to only get rid of the ads. Mostly it's just in a form of up grades, like adding cgi or other misc features... I rather pay like a buck a month get rid of the banner add, instead of 5 bucks for some misc features and get ridding of the ads. That's just me though. :eek: If, I ever find a job and get a credit card, I might changed my view.

;) 1.) One reason why I don't like to pay for webspace is that I don't sit at my computer all hours of the day updating my website and get paid to do it. Since I don't spend much time working on my websites, getting people to look at them, or having people purchase a product from them then I don't think it is worth it.

;) 2.) Second reason is people I build website for don't pay me to do it. I have built my own personal website and I have built websites for my relatives business. My relatives didn't pay me to do it so I didn't think that I needed to pay out of my pocket to give them a website that is on a Paid host server.

;) 3.) Work - (Computer Programmer) - I sit at a computer all day at work creating new programs for HR / Payroll and Benefit systems for clients. I don't go online much at home and prefer to spend time with my Wife and son. I may go on just to check my email.

:p So I guess I am not that serious about my websites and pretty much use them as a hobby and for fun.

HGW - "Websites are cool and fun to build"

I do pay. I quit using free hosts, not because of the ads, or what they offer, but because I was tired of free hosts' unreliability. I know, I know, what can you expect for free? Exactly, which is why I moved to paid.

My site is a non-profit-site, so i don't like to shell out £s each month, because i will never make money with the site. I do agree, tho, if u want reliability & no ads, then paid is more sensible. But, for me, @ the present time, i can get similar features for free, and the site is non-profit.(as i mentioned above).:D

Back