• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Why do they? How do they?

patches

I've got maybe a stupid question, but I've been wondering this a long time.

When you do a search for a hosting company you always find these sites that offer huge amounts of space that only a gaming site could possibly need.

They offer a gazillion ftp accounts, email accounts, etc.

Why don't they offer a normal amount of space with a decent amount of bandwidth and a basic account for the average joe or jane as their base account?

It would seem to me they would make more money that way, but then again maybe I am missing something.

Are all of those people getting sites with tons of space and tons of subdomains, ftp's and emails subletting their space or what?

Steph

Becuase considering companies can now sell at a fair rate for $5/month 1GB space and 10GB transfer they wouldnt make any funds if they sold smaller packages. And they always say the more the merry, or its better to have more then not enough :)

Why should they limit e-mail and ftp accounts? Isn't it nice customers themselves, small or big, won't ever have to worry about running out of them? - I think it's great with unlimited databases and so on. I can host a database for a friend and an small ftp for another asides to mine.

These "addons" doesn't come with any extra cost for the hosting company so why shouldn't they offer it?..

Fact is most companies will offer incredible amounts of space and to offset it provide some type of limitation.

Either you only get 1-2 domain slots or they set your max uploads to 5-10MB files.

It would take a TON of files to fill up a gig of space by sending up 5 mb files at a time. They know people won't use it...Thats why they offer it.

I can guarantee you if all those hosts who offered 30-40gb of space and unlimited bandwidth...If they ever got hung up with someone who maxed out the space and had 10,000 uniques+ a day on a 800k site. They'd figure out a way to get rid of that user and quit offering that package because it would cost them a fortune.

On the other side, most people buy on quantity. They may get a 20GB account with 150GB of transfer but 9 times out of 10.

They will probably use less than 500MB of space and maybe 1-2GB transfer a month.

Last edited:
Hmm, so it's more a matter of hoping that the client's eyes are bigger than their belly and that's just the draw. They never expect the client to actually use that space or all of the add-ons.

I find that concept rediculous, but then I tend to be a realist. It would never appeal to me to get 100 times more space than I ever thought I would need, LOL!

Steph

Back