• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Why do forum scripts have such bad CPs?

conkermaniac

VIP
NLC
Well, I was just playing around with the CPs of XMB, phpBB, Ikonboard, and IBForums when I realized how bad they were. In the case of XMB and phpBB, the CP was awfully buggy, while in the other two, customizing the forums was not so easy. None of them have a simple menu for image customization, as far as I can see (you have to do a find/replace on the server). Certainly, they aren't hard to use, but I would expect it to at least be easier, seeing how simple the installation was. Maybe I'm expecting too much, but at Aimoo and ezBoard, the CPs are ridiculously simple and user-friendly. Why can't it be the same for forum scripts? :confused2

Why do you want to edit pictures using the CP? Anyway, phpBB has only a profile management, and not a CP, it's targetted for a rehaul in the upcoming v2.2 release. And Invision Power Board has a good CP, similar to that of vBulletin IMO.

I like to manage images in my CP because it's easier (don't have to rename tons of files). :cool:

I must agree that vB and IBF have the best CPs out of the script bunch, but they come nowhere near the quality of Aimoo and ezBoard.

Originally posted by conkermaniac
I like to manage images in my CP because it's easier (don't have to rename tons of files). :cool:

I must agree that vB and IBF have the best CPs out of the script bunch, but they come nowhere near the quality of Aimoo and ezBoard.

Maybe just to clear some things up... you're talking about the Admin CP and not the User CP, right? :p

I think, people have different opinions, some say PHPBB is better, because they are use to it or have been using it for a long time whilsts others say it's useless or hard to use because they are not familiar with it.

Personally I am using IPB and I find it incredibly simple, I also found PHPBB one simple too as well as XMB.. everything has a description in the Admin CP, so it's pretty hard to go wrong... very user-friendly.

When one gets used to it, you will change your mind about how "difficult" to use a CP is. :biggrin2:

At Aimoo and ezBoard, they provide a description of each area you're customizing and include an image, whereas on IBF, I was pretty much guessing what everything was with their one-word labels. There's also no image upload feature in the control panel. Of course, it's not so hard as it is annoying - I probably would have figured out everything after a while. But at least now I can see why so many people leave their forums uncustomized, whereas on Aimoo, people change their color and image sets every few months or so.

Another thing I really don't like about forum scripts ... the idea of having multiple skins. It just doesn't make sense to me - if you have a forum, then there should be ONE color scheme for everyone.

Another thing I really don't like about forum scripts ... the idea of having multiple skins. It just doesn't make sense to me - if you have a forum, then there should be ONE color scheme for everyone.
Different colour schemes makes everyone happy. If you don't like this colour you can switch to another, totally necessary.

But at least now I can see why so many people leave their forums uncustomized, whereas on Aimoo, people change their color and image sets every few months or so.

Bit of a contradiction in terms here conker.....Aimoo admin change their setup every few months without consideration for others? Having a choice of skins allow the members to choose the one they prefer. Members are the important people here....not the skin changers.

Most of the time, the admins only allow users to choose from one skin. In addition, you're not really giving the user much of a choice by simply adding a few more skins. What if they really don't like all of them? It's like asking a pizza-hater whether they would prefer a pepperoni, extra cheese, or sausage pizza? If forums were truly about the user, then every user should be allowed to set their own color scheme (and yes, I know of a forum that does do this). But until that happens, I don't see why having 2 or 3 set schemes is any better than having just one, ESPECIALLY when you consider that users will only see one default scheme as a guest (before they register). :)

Most of the time, the admins only allow users to choose from one skin.
I am admin of three forums, two of which I am co-admin....all of them have a choice of 4, from feedback some prefer one over another but they all agree it is nice to have a choice (some even choose the original forum default). Of the two where I am co-admin, the main admin has decided which to make the default, but I have chosen, for my viewing , a different one.

Originally posted by Jan
I am admin of three forums, two of which I am co-admin....all of them have a choice of 4, from feedback some prefer one over another but they all agree it is nice to have a choice (some even choose the original forum default). Of the two where I am co-admin, the main admin has decided which to make the default, but I have chosen, for my viewing , a different one.

I see...would you mind naming those forums? I would like to see for myself. :p

Back