• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Why did acidmist suck?

You need too many unique visitors for them, 150, and especially now *450* it's impossible for practical website owners to get a domain. :(

If you get under 150 or whatever for a little bit they will give you like 3 - 4 popups per page and you lose the option to have banner ads.

Their ads are too intrusive sometimes...

You get this annoying delay when accessing the website "Loading..." or something. man I hate that!

and other stuff I can't remember right now. Also they seem to be very very strict and won't really negotiate with you.

You can also get your domain taken away from you at any given time, and when renewing it after the year is over comes along, I think it's hard to keep the domain.

I think that unique visitors does make sense for a website but maybe it could also be page views? I get 300 - 500 hits daily depending on what day it is, and that is without refreshing constantly or something like that...

Yea, that aspect does make sense in what they did... but I would first send an email warning the user that his ads would triple if he didn't raise his amount of visits.

You need too many unique visitors for them, 150, and especially now *450* it's impossible for practical website owners to get a domain

Too many? how do you expect them to actually pay for the domains if they don't receive enough return in ad revenue?

Domains are not free even to acidmist they still have to pay for them and then get that money back somehow aswell as try and turn a profit, it's a business not a charity.

I think that unique visitors does make sense for a website but maybe it could also be page views? I get 300 - 500 hits daily depending on what day it is, and that is without refreshing constantly or something like that...

First of all it's very difficult to monitor "unique pageviews" and would be almost impossibile to tell if people were constantly refreshing the page to keep their page views up.

Also, you seem to be forgetting that the number of visitors required is not just a number plucked out of thin air for the fun of it, it's the traffic they need to be able to stay in business and pay for your domain.

Somebody that visits your site is not going to click on the same ad more than once, so after the initial visit and subsequent pageviews they make are not going to generate any revenue.

Acidmist goes by CPM--so no problems with repeat traffic.

My main concern when I start my service is how to prevent ppl from abandoning their domains?

I'm contemplating a community message board participation requirement...

or

Start a webmaster help site and attach an unique article submission requirement to getting a domain.

I believe if there is some effort involved in obtaining the domain, ppl will stick with it.

Originally posted by lotsofissues
Acidmist goes by CPM--so no problems with repeat traffic.

My main concern when I start my service is how to prevent ppl from abandoning their domains?

I'm contemplating a community message board participation requirement...

or

Start a webmaster help site and attach an unique article submission requirement to getting a domain.

I believe if there is some effort involved in obtaining the domain, ppl will stick with it.

Yea, this "portal" thing you want to do... The members who really want to keep the domain will also have to do some work by typing an article or whatever, and then their domain wlil be kept... but those who abandon it, will be warned and maybe the site will get more ads to generate made-up revenue... or maybe even redirect the domain to a different popular website of the same subject. (weird idea) :biggrin2:

Back