• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Why crazy people don't deserve the internet..

From my school website
"We have become increasingly concerned about our students' misusing the internet. Harassment through instant messaging and e-mail is occurring. Instant messaging allows users to create their own network of people to talk to over the computer. If you use instant messaging, every time you log onto the internet, you are provided with a list of people on your network who are also currently on-line. You then can "beep" them to see if they want to chat.

The problem arises because students assign themselves "screen names" which they can hide behind and then send messages to their peers or crash other messaging groups. While there are benefits to instant messaging, if it is not properly supervised, students have sent hateful, sexually explicit, threatening or other inappropriate communiqués to each other. The resulting ugly rumors and slanderous comments leave students with hurt feelings and crushed egos which affects performance in school the next day. Relationships are dashed when students put stock in the rumors and comments they download over the internet. Many times they are reacting to rumors and salacious comments deliberately placed there to cause grief and most always have not basis in fact.

What can be done? First, learn about the internet and what your kids are doing on it. Find out how the internet works and how to navigate around it. Secondly, with your child's input, create a family agreement on proper internet use. It should contain guidelines on non-disclosure of personal information, proper on-line conduct, what online areas and activities are off limits and what to do if any situation makes them feel scared or uncomfortable. Put your connected computer in a well-used area of your house so that you can keep an eye on what your kids are doing. A connected computer should never be placed in your child's bedroom. Teach your children not give out personal information on line-ever.

If your child uses instant messaging, monitor their list. The people they meet online may not be who they say they are so only people known in the "real world" should be part of the list.

In checking with the F.B.I. who handles internet harassment cases, it is a federal offense to use the internet to send threatening or abusive messages over the internet. If you have a concern, check with your internet service provider or contact your child's counselor.
"

If you're so.....emotionally disturbed, that you take the internet seirously, you don't deserve it. This goes out to girls, mostly. Because for some reason, a lot of girls say "I thought he loved me"...........shut up....

Back