• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Why are less websites using threaded boards?

i wouldn't choose anything other than linear. why click for each reply when you can read it all at once?

Originally posted by biggulp
i wouldn't choose anything other than linear. why click for each reply when you can read it all at once?
Agreed. However wwwboards are less bulky than linear boards, although they look real ugly IMHO.

Originally posted by biggulp

For a board that has few posts, it certainly makes the board seem a lot larger. And also, these boards generally don't have many replies anyway, so it shouldn't make for a frustrating experience. In addition, not all threaded boards display the replies separate, though most do. :)

I have found that it takes a shorter time to load four separate replies on WWWBoard (combined!) than it does to load 1 thread on vB with 4 replies. :eek:

Hmm...it seems like usage of basic variables added to a form, unless notnamed/whereat has added some secret mechanism that is beyond my poor PHP capabilities.
Yup, just basic variables and a form. And an if statement so it doesn't show the output without any variables in it..."*slap*s with a" looks pretty bad in H1...;)
I have found that it takes a shorter time to load four separate replies on WWWBoard (combined!) than it does to load 1 thread on vB with 4 replies.
Well, vB isn't exactly the fastest of boards, esp. when very hacked.
be prepared for more threaded boards (at least you can choose) as vbulletin 3 will have a threaded option.
:D Hmm guess I'll start saving up!
There's also a hybrid version, from vBulletin 3, which combines everything. But I can assure you it spoils the impression of vB.
You mean a hybrid vB? I don't quite understand what you're trying to say...

Originally posted by notnamed

Well, vB isn't exactly the fastest of boards, esp. when very hacked.

Well, I could load 3 pages on a WWWBoard in the time that it takes 1 page to load on FreeWebspace.net (which hasn't been hacked very much). But I was just trying to show you that it's sometimes less annoying to open threads up on WWWBoard as opposed to a linear board, especially if it is a small-scale board.

And I do agree that vB3 looks quite messy. :confused2

I'd switch to a WWWBoard if that's the future of vB...ugh...I hope when I find the dough to buy vB I can still buy 2.x...or hopefully they'll fix those nasty table width problems. When's the release slated?

Originally posted by Archbob
I prefer linear board cause they are neater than wwwboards.

Even if you consider the fact tht you would probably have more posts (I would say 2 or maybe even 3 times as much) if you had used a WWWBoard instead? :confused2:

The only real weakness I can find with using a WWWBoard for a less popular board is spam. You might get quite some spam because WWWBoards are so easy to use. In any case, neatness should never be a priority for webmasters averaging under 50 posts a month, especially since those zeroes on a forum look worse to a potential visitor than the WWWBoard layout.

Back