• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

WHT CC Info Leaked!

Even if they are old CC #s....it is illegal in the US to store CC credentials. You may keep a temporary session for authentication, but you are certainly not allowed to store permanently.

Even if they are old CC #s....it is illegal in the US to store CC credentials. You may keep a temporary session for authentication, but you are certainly not allowed to store permanently.
You are allowed to store the info (what does PayPal do then?) but it has to pass a few encryption standards (again, not set by the law per se) set by the card issuing companies like Visa, MasterCard, etc.

I'm pretty sure that iNet will lose its contract with its credit card processor and perhaps be denied by every new processor they attempt to deal with.

Well stuff - WHT did not use any sort of encryption, not even the bog standard one that your meant to use by law.

I can see quite a few law suits coming out of this problem.

WHT has been Arrogant for quite a time, and now, the tables are turning. They cut corners, and its biting them on the ---.
This is absolutely nothing to do with the forum.

As much as I think the community is full of stuffed up host's who all they care about is getting good reviews and spamming the place with their boring adverts, I do feel sorry for the staff and techies on WHT who have to suffer this kind of thing. But they could've at least encrypted things surely, or maybe stored the information offline?

Even still FWS uses paypal [correct me if I am wrong] so its still safer!

That's correct Tracker, we don't have any credit card info here. Advertisers pay with Paypal or in some cases bank wire transfer.

Hi Webdude! :wave:

Hi Everyone,

I'm from the Web Hosting Talk/iNET Interactive team and wanted to let all of you know the best place to get updates on the current events happening at Web Hosting Talk. We're working hard to resolve current issues and want to make sure everyone is informed of the latest updates and happenings.

To get the latest information and updates, visit the following threads at Web Hosting Talk:

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/announcement.php?f=31&a=134
http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=852943

Thanks!

Back