• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

WHOIS directory.. any way to omit your info?

cycle

Hi,

I was wondering if there were any services that would allow your information to remain private in the WHOIS directory. I am planning on registering a domain for a personal website and I do not want random people seeing my last name and address. I know there are services that you can order that would do this for a large amount of money, but, unfortunately, I do not have much money to offer. Are there any domain registrars that would allow you to maybe post their info in the WHOIS directory (Myacen did this for me last year) but would guarantee that you retain ownership to your domain?

Thank you.

Godaddy.com do private registrations for $9 so in total with a domain from there you'd be paying about $18

I think namecheap offer a similar service, but i'm not sure of the price, though i wouldn't think it's much different.

It is called just not putting your info there!
Can anyone name a PLAUSIBLE consequence of putting in false whois?

I can. Some people do whois searches on companies before they do business with them. If they see the information looks fishy sometimes they decide not to deal with them. Not many people do this but I've seen it done.

many - if not all - registrars will revoke your domain if you submit false info.

As far as i know, and i may be wrong you can submit any details as long as people are able to contact you there in some way, e.g if you just make a mail account for the domain, that's fine, if you use an address other than your home or business address that's fine also, as long as you can recieve mail there.

As far as I know, by registering the domain you enter into a contract with the registrar agreeing to make publicly available your contact information. If it is found you are using fraudulant information, I believe most registrars will attempt to contact you and give you 15 or so days to change the info, after that the domain is revoked.

Its a false belief to think that registrars will delete domains with false whois.

As a domain speculator I can report to you many top tier names have false whois because owners have not updated in years. And many of us would litterally be millionaires if we were able to convince registrars to delete names for that reason.

There are no consequences.

Back