• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Which is better?

yeah TWC allows it too but you have to upgrade to business class starting at $79.95 a monthbut it increases to a guaranteed I think 750 kbps up and down and if it falls below that they will credit u for that day.

My friends have had a lot of problems with cable. In bakersfield california my friends cable was down for a month and 3 weeks, but it was a local thing they were installing new housings but he still got his refund

actually they both have advantages, and disadvantages. Cable is on a shared pipe, which is shard by a lot more people than you, therefor its speed can go down to almost as bad as 56k at times (although rarely, it can happen, especially if people on your street are running quake servers, warez servers, or hosts.) DSL you get a guaranteed minimum speed, which at times can go way faster. So to recap, cable is 75% of the time faster, but can get way slow (rarely), DSL isn't as fast as cable usually, but will never get slower than the speed you pay for.

I've have AT&T cable modem service, and I'm happy for the most part. Upload is hard-capped at 128kbps, so it's very slow. Downloads are much better. Depending on the host I can get 100-400K a second downloads.

The problem with DSL is that the speed degrades with how far away you are from the main telco phone switch. So if you're at the outer range of their service your speed is SLOW.

-mk

Originally posted by Webdude
Well ok Gian. I pay $39.95 a month for my sweet 1.5mbps cable connection. That is both download and upload. Go see if you can get the same thing with dsl... It is extremely unlikely you can get a dsl with those kinds of speeds on both upload and download...and to even get close to that either way...your gonna pay a lot more than you would for the same thing in cable...

Security on either one is a farce. Please do tell how DSL is more secure...perhaps because you dont get a dynamic IP? When you are connected to the internet, it's your responsibility to keep yourself secure...not your internet provider's..

First off, I am highly satisified with ADSL. I don't want Cable though, because here, I am talking about here not where you live, the cable sucks. At the worst hours I heard cable is 56k downstream and even worse upstream here, it is pathetic because the servers are clogged.

I do get a dynamic IP.

Look, Webdude, I don't know about the cable connections in your area... but all I do know is it sucks down here.

I pay $80 Pesos for the 512/128 ADSL connection... that amounts to approximately $25 US Dollars.

Last edited:
Erm ....

With dsl you can get up to around 45mbit .......

In england ....

ADSL is about £20 - £50 per month for 512k / 256k

with around £250 installation ...

Cable is around £25 - £35 per month for 512k / 128k

with around £40 installation

there is around $1.43 US to the £1

Most ADSL providers give you a static IP here ....
Cable providers mostly give dynamic here ....

I could of sworn it was the other way around. Well at least with Arnet I get a dynamic IP. All the cable providers here give static ones.

Back