• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Which is better in these two dedicated server setups

owleyes

Which is better in these two dedicated server setups please.

2x AMD Opteron 1.8GHz 64bit
4096 MB DDR-RAM (ECC)
2x 160 GB SATA Hard Drive
2000 GB Bandwidth Included
Dazzling Fast Tier-1-Network
99.999% Network Uptime
Fedora Core, Debian or Windows
FREE Plesk 8 or Ensim

or

P IV 3.0
2 GB DDRAM
120GB x 2 HD
1000GB Bandwidth
Red Hat Fedora Core 4
LINUX - Cpanel

Thanks in advance :)

Thanks

First one was put together by a marketer and second by a real server guy. Go with #2.

#2 better be cheaper than #1 though.

I will also go with the 2 one as on technical terms "64 bit" server sucks on security and upgrade issue ..My experences say nearly 99% of 64bit server give lot of technical problem.

#1 is much better. One of the opterons alone is close to the Pentium performance, it has more ram and better disks.

#1 looks like a professional Server, #2 like like an average machine.

I'd take Centos, Cpanel or DA.

neither machine is worth a hill of beans if you are not meeting your requirments. What will this machine be used for and what is your ultimate goal with it

My personal recommendation would be option 2.

However, do take into consideration your needs and requirements.

Good Luck!
Lea.

i'll go with the opterons for game servers while p4 for normal webhosting

Last edited:
I would go with option #2. It will be a cheaper alternative and you can start off with that and if you don't like you can always switch to the AMD Opteron.

Yeah, but for the AMD Opteron I don't think 1.8gHz is gonna' cut it..(for gameservers)

The Dual Opteron would outperform a single P4 anyday.
We have Dual Opteron 2.0GHz processors outperformiong Dual XEON 3.0GHz processors due to better chip design by AMD (one-die memory controller) and more BUS speed

Performance, Dual Opteron all the way. Also the 4GB of ram is a good amount. 2GB would be lowish for anything but a lightly used server

ThinkSupport said:
I will also go with the 2 one as on technical terms "64 bit" server sucks on security and upgrade issue ..My experences say nearly 99% of 64bit server give lot of technical problem.

what do you mean???
Opteron can run both 32bit and 64bit operating systems... Even the latest P4 processors can do the same

JodoHost said:
The Dual Opteron would outperform a single P4 anyday.
We have Dual Opteron 2.0GHz processors outperformiong Dual XEON 3.0GHz processors due to better chip design by AMD (one-die memory controller) and more BUS speed

Performance, Dual Opteron all the way. Also the 4GB of ram is a good amount. 2GB would be lowish for anything but a lightly used server

He's looking at an AMD Opteron 1.8 gHz, not a dual opteron 2.0gHz.

PS: There's an edit button for a reason :p

Oh sorry, didn't see the "2x".

But still, do you use this Dual Opteron 2.0 to host gameservers? I don't think it would work out.

dual opteron 2.0's are fine for gameservers. I have a few machines that use the dual 242 modules with quite good success. I still prefer xeons over opterons but I have no complaints on the opteron processor

Back