• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Which distro?

foo2thabar

NLC
I've decided to throw windows out the window and get Linux, then make my computer a dedicated *nix box. I've only used linux once before, and I dont know much about it, but i want a distro thats secure. Which one? I heard the new RH7.3 was good, with the new ext3 and all....but SuSE 8.0 seems good for linux newbies..........

Nowhere does it say it's a demo. Linux cannot be distributed commercially. You have to distribute it freely. The reason Suse, redhat charge is because of the packaging and the cdroms's and support and manual that come with it.

I'd go with RedHat, don't get Mandrake, it may be good for newbies too, but it lacks many of the devel files and runtime files you need to run and compile programs. I just recently got RedHat 7.2 and am quite happy with it, too.

I'd get Redhat, it's probably the most options so it's easy to get support. I've only used Redhat, Mandrake, and SuSe. I don't like SuSe because I'm not sure how to pronounce it. Mandrake is the only Linux I've ever had freeze up like in Windows. So Redhat is my favorite.

Well now I too know how to pronounce SuSe, i thought it was Soo See. Anyway, I've had RedHat freeze on me too, but not as much as mandrake.

I have a question about wine,
do you have to have a dual-boot system to run windows programs? can it run Counter-strike and other half-life mods as well as the 4 AoE games (1, 1x, 2, 2x)?

Originally posted by Ben
can it run Counter-strike and other half-life mods as well as the 4 AoE games (1, 1x, 2, 2x)?

CS and HL yes..

AoE is a microsoft game so no.

Back