• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

What's your internet connection?

What's your internet connection?

• T3

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • T1

Votes: 2 4.3%
  • DSL

Votes: 4 8.7%
  • Cable

Votes: 19 41.3%
  • ISDN-128K

Votes: 1 2.2%
  • ISDN-56K

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 13 28.3%

Votes: 2 4.3%
  • 28.8 or 14.4K

Votes: 4 8.7%
  • I don't know

Votes: 1 2.2%

• Total voters
Yeah it would be nice to have broadband. I still have 56k though too, although at times I wonder if my connection actually is that fast.

I really doubt whether my connection is actually where it should be either. (around 48k I think, but I could be wrong) We have Earthlink for Internet, (we wanted out of AOL and Earthlink was rathed #1 by C|net twice so we went with them) but Earthlink sucks where I live. The connection can be painfully slow - and not just at peak times. It drops constantly too. We're considering switching, but we're not sure what to switch too. I'm hesitant to try MSN, and I never want to go back to AOL. We had Verizon (back when it was GTE Internet), but that was worse than AOL. I'm thinking maybe a local provider would be a better choice than one of the big national ones.

Well my connection speed right now is actually only 37k. I use AOL becuase its the only (affordable) option around here.

I've got a 128KB modem line... not the best but it can actually go faster than cable lines in my area.

I have cable and love it, 4000kbps normally, 3000kbps is the minimum ive seen.

DirecPC 1-way.. 250KPS down.. 48K up

when direcpc 2-way gets instqalled next thursday..

128K up.. 500K down

i have multiple T1s at school (i get to do whatever i want as long as it's not illegal, i'm a trainee network admin). at home, i only have a need for 56000 bps transfer because I work out of an SSH terminal

our school blocks every single port except the net, even outgoing ports, so we cant access ftp, ssh, telnet, etc.

Originally posted by jw
our school blocks every single port except the net, even outgoing ports, so we cant access ftp, ssh, telnet, etc.

doesn't your school have a user server? ssh to that then ssh elsewhere.

Originally posted by jw
all our school's servers run NT :(

dear god no...

you could create a perl script that allows you to run commands at let it display the results.

I dunno what we have at school but crappy crappy

when its not down its slower than you could ever amagin

hehe, I wonder if they even have perl installed. You have no idea - the technology department at my school is completely idiotic.

At my school they have windows 2000 with cable(for the whole school!), it's really slow. I think it's only one cable line connected to all the computers(approximately 145).

I have a 56k modem, but i can only connect at 28.8. Cable will never be availabl in my area, nor wil DSL or ADSL. if i am lucky i will get sattelite.

Mine's IDSL (yes, that's an "I" - don't ask) 128K. Well, it's supposed to be, but I haven't felt the speed yet. :(

Last edited:
Originally posted by LeX
Mine's IDSL (yes, that's an "L" - don't ask) 128K. Well, it's supposed to be, but I haven't felt the speed yet. :(

Don't you mean, (yes that's an "I"-don't ask)? Or did you mean ISDN, but mispelled it?

Last edited:
Back