• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Whats the best program for web design?

I still haven't gotten myself adjusted to CSS. It's hard to make a site these days leaving them out, but making a site only using div tags and a styles page is pretty complicated for me still :confused4

webhostec said:
well but preparing the whole design of your web page in notepad is not so easy if you are going to have a lot of tables and so on :)
Rubbish, I extensively use tables. I don't use frames, and I do use CSS style-sheets. Tables are dead easy, everything is dead easy. Except that Mozilla refuses to display tables for the full height of the page unless it has to. Stupid Mozilla. And don't you just hate it when you visit a site that OBVIOUSLY wants to fit to the width of a full-screen browser in 600x800 res? Especially with my 1156x864 it really ticks me off. And sites with links that only work if JAVASCRIPT is enabled, are they unaware they can do this:
Code:
<a href=page.htm target=_blank onclick="pop_up_function('page.htm');return false">
Is that right? Gosh I haven't used Javascript in links for a while... and yes I did figure that "trick" out myself. Of course Mozilla doesn't do it properly - basically in IE if you click it it will run the onclick, if you hold shift and click it - it will still run the onclick, but if you right click it and click "open in new window" or "save target as" it will do that and not the onclick. Furthermore and most importantly for those of us who like to have scripting disabled, the link still works as any normal link should. In Mozilla it all works exactly the same except that when you hold shit and click the link it does both the href link into a new window, and the onclick event (stupid Mozilla) - but that is still better than this:
Code:
<a href=Javascript:"popupfunction"></a>
since the link performs poorly when: 1. javascript is disabled, 2. the user holds shift while clicking the link (I am in the habit of doing that), and 3. when they right click to save, or open in new window. If you'd like to test it yourself try this code and then come back and say "yes Meksilon you are indeed a genius"
Code:
<a href=http://google.com target=_blank onclick="window.open('http://google.com','','resizable=no,width=200,height=200');return false">go to google</a>
Of course IE (stupid IE) doesn't let you disable scripting for pages on your own Hard Disk, but if you use MyIE2 - which is what I use (kind of an IE shell) which you can get at www.myie2.com - then you can disable scripting and it will work (of course, the new windows opened using the script will not be unresizable 200x200, this is normal MyIE2 behaviour).

Why do you want to disable scripting? And lets say you disable it - how many people disable it? That doesn't means you must make your page whole in javascript but it makes you life easier sometimes if you want to make your site more dynamic not only static.

I think that javascript is very good thing and Mozilla Firefox is the BEST browser :)

I lear html, and write it out in notepad. for me, there is no better way of doing it :p but of course i use psp 8.0 and photoshop 7 too.. lol

well there are a lot of text editors wich are coloring the code but if you align the code correctly you don't neeed colors :)

webhostec said:
well there are a lot of text editors wich are coloring the code but if you align the code correctly you don't neeed colors :)

I only tried HTML-Kit and stayed with it.

I don't like NotePad's enviroment (reminds me how I first started to type text on my PC when I bought it :classic2: )

When you learn HTML better and you need to optimize pages and to make some different things you'll see how usefull are little editors like notepad :) making a good looking site from scratch with notepad is dificult but to optimize it is perfect :)

hmm...as I see this Sothink HTML editor is not something different than Mozilla editor. Maybe the interesting part is the DHTML Menu for newbies. But it cost money and nothing realy interesting as I see.

I can't understand you webhostec.
HTML Kit doesn't always offer ready-made codes and there are many ways you can not use these code (eg the summary table, always needed). Also HTML kit offers a small html checker to see your code. Notepad is VERY Unfriendly !!!

I didn't tell something bad about HTML kit... I even didn't find anything interesting about it. But I don't need html checker or something like that. If you know enough HTML you don't need more than notepad or similar editor :)

You are a human, you make mistakes, so an HTML checker is good.
Nevermind, lets stop arguing which is best.
Notepad is M$ stuff and I hate it :p

The question is not what is the best tool for web design but the designers skills in using the tools.

Peoples needs are very different because there are so many different things people need to do to make a website. There may be a worst tool but there probably isn't a best tool.

For me, the most useful/best tool is Perl.

I still think it's all down to what you need - if it's straight HTML then just about any package, if you need developer features then Dreamweaver leaves little to be desired.

Back