• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

What's a VPS?

weby

Dear all what is a virtual private server hosting?
Is it something like there are more users of the server but for them it looks like they would be only one?
If so, how many VPS are on a server?

In computing, virtual private servers are a form of virtualization that splits a single physical server into multiple virtual servers. Virtual private servers are sometimes called virtual dedicated servers. The practice of partitioning a single server so that it appeared as multiple servers has long been common practice in mainframe computers, but has seen a resurgence lately with the development of software such as VMware, User-mode Linux and Xen.

Thanks craig and snakeako. I guess for an informed decision the hoster should reveal how many VPSs he has on a server or what kind of processor share one gets.

weby said:
Thanks craig and snakeako. I guess for an informed decision the hoster should reveal how many VPSs he has on a server or what kind of processor share one gets.

No problem.

Yes, there is such thing as minimum server resources guarantee. For example they guarantee you that you will get not less then 400mhz CPU and 256 RAM, but thats the minimum.The maximum might be for example 2x3.0ghz and 2GB RAM.

If you are looking to open a free host, my advice is to get a VPS. If you are looking to start a paid host, then get a reseller account. Reseller has everything in it, you just have to bill your clients and open accounts :p While VPS requires a person who knows server managment well, and can manually install the wanted modules, cPanel etc. etc. (unless the hoster will do it for free)

Hope this helps ;)

Just a question for those of you who do VPS's:

What software do you use? VMWare? Or some other thing?

Yepp, I agree with craig and Ako. Virtuozzo is the best software.
It is able to split the resources of servers to the dozens of individual VPS's. You can think of each VPS as its own dedicated server that itself using its own OS and webserver software. :classic2:

Back