• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Whatever happened to: Tripod builder bucks

jpoc

The tripod builder bucks programme was announced a little over a year ago. The deal was that tripod members who attracted more than 100 page views a day could sign up for what was basically a CPM deal. USD1 for those with over 1000 page views per day and half that for those with less.

Seeing that was the first time that I encountered a suggestion that folks other than yahoo and the like could make money from advertising on the internet. While it was not the reason that I decided to build a site, it was the catalyst that made me decide to go with tripod and to start last spring.

After a couple of months, I had hit the required traffic level and I applied for membership. I was rejected with a form email that accused me of "Possible violation of XXX" where XXX included copyright violation, adult material, broken links, hate material, fraudulent site etc etc.

I received about six copies of this message and I emailed tripod to complain that none of this was true.

I heard nothing but then after a couple of weeks, they changed the T&C of the programme to exclude non US residents. A day or so later, I received a reply to my email stating this. A further reply mentioned that their international sites were considering similar schemes.

I gave up, started to migrate my site elsewhere and began to look for other sources of ad revenue. Now, I note that tripod have closed the programme to new applicants.

So, what gives? Did the scheme succumb to fraud? Is it just a sign of the industry downturn? If so, will things pick up? Is there any future in this kind of deal?

jpoc

uh... i think somebody here (or maybe it was another forum but i doubt it) was talking about how the ad-industry is declining to just bigger sites.

Sounds like there's only one solution to getting accepted: get a big enough site.

Back