• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

What would you give in return for hosting

what would you be willing to give in exchange for free hosting?

• Banners

Votes: 0 0.0%
    Votes: 3 23.1%
  • Text Links

Votes: 8 61.5%
  • Donations

Votes: 2 15.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

DevilsHost

Well I can't help but notice more and more people seem to be expecting more from their free hosts, so I thought this poll might be interesting to see who would be willing to give what, if anything in exchange for hosting.

It really annoys me when I see people expecting so much from a host, who afterall is covering the costs. Like say 25GB space 100GB bandwidth, no posts, no ads.... us hosts put alot of effort in the least people could do is give a little something back.

so cast your votes and post your opinions.

I thought id include donations in the options as there may be some of you out there who'd be willing to part with some cash to help their host with the costs of the server, or just to say thankyou.

What would I give?
First and foremost, Money. free hosts have unreliable reputations and for a serious site i wouldnt go free and probly wouldnt even go cheap.

Otherwise, posting and text links would be the first 2 choices.
Posting gives your main site traffic and potential advertising revenue from it without ruining the clients site.
Text links, either in google ad format or link backs are also helpful for the same reasons, again without imposing too much on the clients site.

Donations simply dont work. People wont give money if they dont have to, and 90% of free hosting clients seem to be people from countries with a poor economy, or are too young to have a reliable method of payment. If they could afford to donate, id say they would get paid hosting.

I find it amazing.

Almost no matter what you give, they want more.

I give pretty much unfettered hosting, even pulled off the ads from user pages (no text links, nothing). What do they want?

GIMME MYSQL @#!$%^!#$%!

Okay, will do, but for mysql you will get text link ads.

I DON'T WANT TEXT LINKS. YOU SUCK @#!$!@#$

Yes, ok, move on then

:)

It's amazing how greedy people can be when everything is free.

What would I give?
First and foremost, Money. free hosts have unreliable reputations and for a serious site i wouldnt go free and probly wouldnt even go cheap.

As a free host myself I wouldn't say that was an entirely fair comment, there are some good free hosts out there, just few and far between.

but you're right, I wouldn't go for free hosting if I was serious about a site which perhaps I may want to resell later on, but as i've said in another thread in this forum recently, paid hosts (looking at it from your point of view) aren't much better than free hosts, so many hosts run by complete noobs of a reseller account trying to make a quick buck, not bothering about customer service, huge quotas for pennies or not.

The trick is with paid hosting, finding the right host, how long have they been up. If its a month or so then forget it they'll be gone by next month. Plenty of places you can find reviews about hosts and ask opinions before you make a mistake you might regret.

The good thing about free hosting is that it's risk free, just keep regular backups.

Donations simply dont work. People wont give money if they dont have to, and 90% of free hosting clients seem to be people from countries with a poor economy, or are too young to have a reliable method of payment. If they could afford to donate, id say they would get paid hosting.

No perhaps donations wouldn't work, it's just there as an option in the poll as some people no doubt do occaisionally donate to their free hosts.

I find it amazing.

Almost no matter what you give, they want more.

Yeah I know how you feel, people dont seem to realise it costs US money to provide them hosting, I just can't understand why some people simply refuse to give anything back for what their hosts give them.

Yeah I know how you feel, people dont seem to realise it costs US money to provide them hosting, I just can't understand why some people simply refuse to give anything back for what their hosts give them.

It's a mindset. It's free therefore you owe it to me.

Up here in Canada, my "hometown" (for lack of a better word) has 1/3rd of the popuplation on welfare. They had their first 5th generation a couple years ago - that's 5 generations of people on welfare - and usually having babies in their teens. These people feel the government owes them the money to sit on their butts, have kids (so they can get more welfare) and do nothing.

I can't understand that mindset - I work for what I want.

I generally accept ads, as long as they are customizable. I don't want to build a website based around a banner ad... some of those ads have really horrible color choices. :p The exceptions are pop-ups, pop-unders, etc.

If I was 18, and had a steady job, I'd probably donate a few dollars a month. That depends completely on the service, though.

Horrible little (or sometimes smegging big) pop-up ads that hide behind the browser, honestly what bloody good is that to anyone!!!???

I think there missing something, clicks!
I wouldn't mind clicking like 10 times a day (something like bux.to).
If you have an active forum (including a support section), I think you would gain some money with the ads on this forum.
The forum and click -money should be enough to cover some of the server costs I think.

Back